slicksierra

Feel some type of way
Mar 8, 2012
Central Jersey
Ooooo let me get a tranny fluid how to on here plz. I need to do that as well. Might as well throw up the diff too haha I've never services that

live from the gutter trash.

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
Ooooo let me get a tranny fluid how to on here plz. I need to do that as well. Might as well throw up the diff too haha I've never services that

Diff is easy peasy. Should take no more than 30mins tops. If I had pictures I'd make a how to

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY

There's a drain bolt on the side of the tranny. It's as easy as an oil change from what I've seen. Drain it and fill it and you're good. No need to shower in fluid like when you do the 60e.

Tylers88

3 GM's and a Jeep
Apr 16, 2012
Clarion, IA

Little tip, take the fill plug out before the drain plug, want to make sure you can fill it before you empty

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL

Just like Chris said open drain plug, let it run dry, fill replace fill plug, drive off into the sunset.

Little tip, take the fill plug out before the drain plug, want to make sure you can fill it before you empty

This also.

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Made some more progress today, and found a few things still yet to do/figure out.

I have the valve train all buttoned up. I measured for correct pushrod length and lifter preload using the EO/IC method. In my case 7.400" rods were what I needed, which is what TMS sent to me with the shortblock package. My setup, just to recap: LS7 lifters, AI 243 heads milled to 63cc chamber volume, stock rockers with Comp trunion upgrade.

I was following a manual which did not mention anything about loctite on the rocker bolts, but after getting it all bolted up and throwing the valve covers on, I found out that's a good idea. So tomorrow I'll pull the covers off and pull each bolt, loctite them, replace and retorque them and be good to go.

Here's how it sits. Intake is just sitting there to cover the intake ports. I'll leave that off when swinging the motor in and install it after.

562020495bf0e591b3fab463a86482af.jpg

cde7438dcbb8ac26649548812c4fde1f.jpg

I have my coolant crossover parts coming tomorrow and I'll be picking up another crank bolt to install the balancer. Got my catch can setup and mocked up, just need a bolt for it to attach it to the head. I still need to figure out what the big threaded hole in the pass side of the oil pan is for though. I haven't looked into it yet, but nothing is coming to mind as to what it may be for. Anyone have any ideas?

That's pretty much it motor wise! Gotta grab some rear diff fluid and the appropriate allen socket for my tranny drain and fill plugs. Planning on tearing into it once Carlisle is over, and want to have everything done before the end of next month....ideally :rofl:

a-fuso

GMC Owner
Mar 28, 2012
CA
Threaded hole in the oil pan is for the low oil level sensor.

Engine looks awesome, this is just making me want to buy a 6.0 even more

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Hmm, I'm not finding anything clear online about that sensor, unless I'm just not looking well enough. Got a link?

And you should, your truck would be awesome with one!

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Thanks Anthony!

And I bought a kit, but the adapter for the crank is waaaay too short. I'll see if NAPA rents them.

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Got the correct oil level sensor coming tomorrow from my local parts store, thanks Fuso.

Now that it's almost done, I want to get it in lol.

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Decided to do some quick maintenance stuff I've been putting off.

Changed the tranny fluid today. Pretty sure this is the first time it's ever been changed. I bought the truck 11/2011 with 82k on it, it now has just shy of 126k on it. For never being out, the fluid didn't look terrible, and the fill/drain plugs didn't put up a fight.

Not a terrible amount of filings for 126k

xbc33KW.jpg

And the small shower I took

00e6kUi.jpg

Overall, approximately a 20-30 minute job including setting the truck on jackstands.

Did the rear end fluid too, since that hasn't been done since 08/2012 at 93k. No pics, but the fluid didn't look bad there either, and the drain plug didn't have a lot of filings on it.

Glad I got this done before heading to Carlisle and then throwing the motor in. The trans and rear at least need to make it through to next year :rofl:

Also, picked up the oil level sensor today and installed it. Fits like a charm, thanks again for the tip. Though if I had just crawled under my truck I would've figured it out for myself lol.

a-fuso

GMC Owner
Mar 28, 2012
CA
Haha No problem man, I've been under my truck enough times that I remember what a few parts look like down there.

And if your crank pulley has been off before mine had no issue being installed with the old bolt, but it helps if you get a longer bolt for install, or a piece of all thread. I usually just tap it onto the snout about half way with a rubber hammer then use the bolt to draw it up tight.
Make sure you hold the flywheel locked in place and tighten to spec like it says, you need to feel the bolt stretch or it will come loose, ask me how I know......

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Yeah this is all new, so I may see how far I can lightly tap the new balancer on, then draw it in with a longer bolt.

And thanks for reminding me, I should probably order a new flex plate. Might as well since everything will be out of the way.

I'm thinking of tallying up my receipts after its all said and done. That way anyone following in my footsteps can do it cheaper lol.

CammedVmax

Still stuck
Jun 5, 2013
Longview, TX
I modified a crank pulley tool I got from oreillys to press mine on. Worked great lol. I can post a pic of that tool later if you want

Sent from Tapashit