Moore

Feb 12, 2012
Maryland
So everyone is aware that the 4l60e is one of the weakest links in our trucks, and in terms of solving this problem, people either build or go 4l80e. I'd like to cam my truck sometime in the near future, but realistically I'm only to put out..maybe 330hp? Most likely less...so this bring up my question, what to do about the trans? I know some people's first instinct is to say '4l80e swap!!' but I don't have the power, nor do I plan on having the power to justify doing it, others will say get a built trans from a place like flt, performabuilt...etc but we're talking around 3k installed for a good one with converter and you doing all the work yourself. So my question is; for the extremely mild cam only build guys, what's the solution for the transmission?

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
You have to tear into the trans to put the sunshell in anyways, so I would just go with a basic rebuild by a reputable shop, and have them add the parts welsh mentioned. That way everything's fresh, you should be good for a long while with that. The sunshell is the weakest link in these transmissions, around 150k I started hearing it ring like a bell every time I'd put mine in gear, and it started slipping pretty good around the time I traded her in at 162k

welsh907

Rehabilitated Member
Apr 3, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
Honestly, every half ton that comes to us at the shop, (some with as many as 300,000 miles on the truck) that's what we do. Take them out, fully disassemble, replace anything that's broken, new clutches, hardened sunshell, shift kit, and a vette servo. Sometimes we do a hardened input shaft if the people want to put some play to the truck. Then top it off with a new converter.

welsh907

Rehabilitated Member
Apr 3, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
And yes, the sunshell's in these trucks are garbage. We replace them in EVERY 4l60e rebuild we do unless it's already been added.

We charge $2,150 - $2,350 all day for a full rebuild with add ons, converter and full r&r .Price varies that $200 because sometimes we end up replacing the case because of hairline fractures and sometimes major hard part scattering. Lol

Moore

Feb 12, 2012
Maryland
That's not a bad price for full r&r I suppose, and I know trans shops do 4l60 rebuilds all day regardless of location so finding one to do everything for a good price shouldn't be too bad but you never know

Cheeny23

Resident Wop
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Bakersfield
I got mine fully built for 1800 with buddy discount. He guarantees me to handle 550 easily. I think you'd be just fine with the 4l60e with mild cam

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Don't fix what isn't broke, just budget the fix in. Call Virginia Speed. There are quite a few really good performance places in your state.

welsh907

Rehabilitated Member
Apr 3, 2012
Anchorage, Alaska
How many miles are on the trans itself?

If its lasted over 140k miles, I'd pull it and rebuild it. Probably pick up a little fuel economy and some response from the rebuild. I rebuilt mine at 135k on my red and black truck and it made a HUGE difference.

Edit: saw where you said 170k mile trans. If that's the real mileage. Rebuild Rebuild Rebuild.

Last edited:

Moore

Feb 12, 2012
Maryland
I find it very unlikely that it has made it this far without some type of rebuild, however, I've no way of finding out so for all intensive purposes I'm going to assume that it wasn't

Country_09

Jun 12, 2012
Mont Belvieu
Mine made it 208xxx before a rebuild was needed. Now I have it apart and am doin 5 pinion planetaries, beast sunshell, performance clutches, shift kit, aluminum accumulator pistion, transgo hardened plate, a 2800 stall and a couple other goodies. Might as well do it right

fortplainman

official CGM slut
Feb 8, 2012
utica ny
performabuilt its right near you in PA. i was going to have them build me one but they dont have a core for my truck.

mines got 60kish and 30k of it is being lifted on stock gears so its hurting. i think my sunshell is toast if it isnt the g80 blowing up.

Moore

Feb 12, 2012
Maryland
Mine made it 208xxx before a rebuild was needed. Now I have it apart and am doin 5 pinion planetaries, beast sunshell, performance clutches, shift kit, aluminum accumulator pistion, transgo hardened plate, a 2800 stall and a couple other goodies. Might as well do it right
How much is all that going to run you?
performabuilt its right near you in PA. i was going to have them build me one but they dont have a core for my truck.

mines got 60kish and 30k of it is being lifted on stock gears so its hurting. i think my sunshell is toast if it isnt the g80 blowing up.
That seems like a decent option, I know I've seen them give 10% off sales sometimes. Might just end up with that and a tb converter or something used

Country_09

Jun 12, 2012
Mont Belvieu
Parts were 830 to my door, but I already had the converter so that saved 175, doin the rebuild with a buddy of mine for cheap cheap so ill have around 1100 into it by the time it's done instead of 3k that a few shops wanted around here.

Jimmy

Formerly SouthernprideTX
May 8, 2012
North of Houston, Texas
I blew my 4l60e at 80k lol
I have a pic somewhere off parts that went into it.
IMAG0566-1.jpg

At 93k miles now, no prolems yet but sucks warrenty is alredy out.
Id say invest in trans cooler tho
No clue what rated hp it can hold.

Last edited: