What Cam do I need?

Honestly "low end" is overrated. Only people looking for that are typically people with stock converters or are too conservative and don't know what to expect so they go the shy route.
If you truly want low end you need to get a diesel or a big block.
These LS motors love to rev so let them do so and you will be rewarded.

Trust me I understand that. But I have no problem with my truck 3+ plus it moves out nicely I think. I just dont want my bottom end to get any worse than it already is. I am all for a big cam though. Sounds sick. Brb looking at 220's and 224's :cheeky:

Trust me I understand that. But I have no problem with my truck 3+ plus it moves out nicely I think. I just dont want my bottom end to get any worse than it already is. I am all for a big cam though. Sounds sick. Brb looking at 220's and 224's :cheeky:

I'm surprised to hear you say you feel your truck pulls decent up top, because that's where they fall off real quick, esp. stock! Not even saying you have to go big cam, but seriously a 4.8 has nothing down low to begin with, and you have a manual! (Although I'm not too familiar with the ratios in your nv trans...?).

(Although I'm not too familiar with the ratios in your nv trans...?).

3.49 2.16 1.40 1.00 0.73 3.55 (R)
There's also a low gear 4.09 first trans, but wasn't put in many trucks.

I love revving the hell out of my 4.8/5spd. The limiter is set at 6100 on it and it is so much fun pulling it that high, even though it is stock.

Yes he said on EPS HI REV lobes

You see here though, hes not using the same lobe design as the 212/218 comp cam.
Geoff owns EPS and has his own EPS lobe characteristics. Thats why he speced such a high lift, his cam lobes are very easy on the valve train they open and close the valve at a slower rate so generally his cams have more lift.

I plan on spinning mine a minimum of 6800, my goal is 7000 but we shall see.
But to be efficient im picking up some worked and milled 243 heads. Also a 07+ intake mani since our NBS manifolds start to plane out at 6100-6200 ish.
Also im looking for some 44lb injectors for this and also for N2o

I plan on spinning mine a minimum of 6800, my goal is 7000 but we shall see.
But to be efficient im picking up some worked and milled 243 heads. Also a 07+ intake mani since our NBS manifolds start to plane out at 6100-6200 ish.
Also im looking for some 44lb injectors for this and also for N2o

Thanks for revealing your recipe. :goon:

Get yourself a solid tensioner like the Katech if you're gonna blast that high. Otherwise be prepared to walk backwards on expressway looking for your rubberbanded belt in the ditch. :ermahgerd:

lol this recipe has been used 100000000 times.
Ima eventually get one i keep a spare one under the hood jammed up between the fender and fire wall by the brake booster been there for 2 years

looking at a custom grinds from comp for kicks. Probably 216/224 on there XE lobes with 112 LSA and 108 ICL. That would give me 4 degrees advance on the cam correct? I wonder how much bigger I could go with 4 degrees of advance and still have to power come around 2K

Last edited:
You're thinking too hard.
Just go on ptnet and get a solid used cam for dirt cheap and slide it into your 4.8 and enjoy. Now make it happen!

You're thinking too hard.
Just go on ptnet and get a solid used cam for dirt cheap and slide it into your 4.8 and enjoy. Now make it happen!
This.
There's not gonna be any HUGE difference on smaller shelf cams in a mostly stock truck. Tsp220, tsp224, 212/218, 216/220, etc aren't gonna perform that much differently. I'd just pick a cheap one up on pt and toss it in and see how you like.

I know it's not the same, but I drove a ls1/t56 with the tsp224 cam and it was awesome. Pulled hard everywhere, but the t56 gearing is a lot different.. But the 224/224 with a manual was a blast.

Yeah I looked on PT.net and didn't see any used ones but used would be a good way to go and try to find some ls6 springs.

Well if they are all gonna before the same then I want to one that is gonna lope the most hahaha

Sent from my potato

Yeah I keep checking there for cams and such. There's a few 220s and 228s on there, but mostly larger 24x/25x or bigger cams for sale. Keep your eyes out on there and over on tech. Tons of parts being sold there all the time.