Truck did something strange the other day

ghaynie18

Nov 25, 2013
My 04 silverado 2500 w/6.0 did something funny the other day while pulling a trailer. I was pulling an 8 foot trailer with brush on it through my field and had to put it in 4 high. Well I left it idling for a few minutes while I jumped out to throw some more on the trailer and all the sudden my trans temp gauge and reg temp gauge spiked and the DIC told me coolant was overheating. It's never done this and all my fluids are level. I have pulled heavier loads than that with no problems either. I took it out of 4 high and let it sit for a while and then in went back to normal and has been ever since. Any thoughts as to way it would have done that while in 4wd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samuel6731

Cant Get Right
Mar 11, 2012
New Roads La.
Your trans fluid also passes thru the side of the radiator. It uses it to heat the trans faster in cold weather.
What I suspect is that maybe the thermostat stuck causes the coolant to get hot thus heating the trans fluid rapidly with it.

When my thermostat stuck on my truck it did the same thing. (i have no trans gauge) but when i let my truck idle it would overheat the coolant.

Your trans fluid also passes thru the side of the radiator. It uses it to heat the trans faster in cold weather.
What I suspect is that maybe the thermostat stuck causes the coolant to get hot thus heating the trans fluid rapidly with it.

When my thermostat stuck on my truck it did the same thing. (i have no trans gauge) but when i let my truck idle it would overheat the coolant.

the way it sounded, it only does this when in 4wd. not in 2wd am i correct OP?

ghaynie18

Nov 25, 2013
Correct it only did it in 4wd. I haven't tried it again without a trailer but I will do it ASAP to see if I get the same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk