04SSHD

Master Debater
Staff member
Mar 23, 2012
Henderson, NV
bigdaddyfatsac.com
Just got a KILLER deal on this Pioneer Double DIN for my F250. The radio retails at Best Buy for $499, I did a quick google search, and asked the Geek Squad techs what they thought about the radio. Almost ALL of the reviews were bad, and just about EVERY employee said NOT to buy it. If you get a chance to check out the radio, I think the idea is fucking genius, and the presentation and appearance of the head unit is BY FAR one of the nicest on the market.

The idea behind the AppRadio is that you use your cell phone as your media source, well with iPods, Pandora, internet radio, etc... we're pretty much on this track anyways. The radio is compatible with both Apple iPhone/iOS and Android. Basically, out of the box, all you're buying is a screen with an AM/FM radio tuner. The unit comes with all the normal harnesses to tie into your vehicles sound system, plus an Apple iPod style connector. Pioneer says to connect an Android phone you need to purchase CD-AH200C which retails for $99.99. I asked the merchant at the store if I can open this said kit, and we both inspected it. For the additional $100 all you get is a standard HDMI cable, HDMI to Micro HDMI, a standard android micro USB cable, a 12v DC to 5v DC power supply, and some sort of Pioneer Propitiatory box. If you're using an Android phone you should check compatibility with your phone before considering this head unit. My new Droid DNA is not compatible, but my older Droid RAZR is, and it connects via HDMI to Micro HDMI. Meaning, out of that $100 box, all I need is a $10 cable. So I opted to NOT buy this kit and use one of my HDMI to Micro HDMI cables I had laying around the house.

CD-AH200C_reg.jpg

I also have a freshly retired iPhone that is primarily used as a glorified iTouch now, it's great for playing music, and it still works with this setup.

Being able to see and use both Android and Apple iPhones with this radio, I can quickly see how and why people get fed up with this radio and where the bad reviews come from. Most of the time I can't get my Droid RAZR to properly connect to the device. The iPhone connection is effortless and easy. Since the Droid won't connect most of the time I removed the Pioneer App from this phone. However, the RAZR has the ability to mirror displays through HDMI which I think is fucking awesome. It turns your phone's home screen into a mobile in car media device. You can use Google Maps/Nav, Pandora, Facebook, Internet, etc...right on the head unit. Freaking genius...

Here's a few pics of the unit in various states-

Home screen with the iPhone plugged in
IMAG0295.jpg

iPhone Apps Screen
IMAG0284.jpg

iPhone's Map function
IMAG0288.jpg

iPhone Camera Roll
IMAG0290.jpg

iPhone Media app (just another interface to play your music
IMAG0292.jpg

Basic radio functions
IMAG0296.jpg

Android connected home screen
IMAG0301.jpg

Android HDMI Mirrored display (running without the Pioneer App)
IMAG0270.jpg

Android Nav/Google Maps App
IMAG0271.jpg

Movies off of the Android
IMAG0277.jpg

Android internet browsing
IMAG0302.jpg

PRO's
Amazing display
Touch Screen interface just like your phone
Huge screen
Android HDMI can mirror display on screen
Parrot Hands Free Bluetooth calling built into the unit
HDMI Function available for those droids that support HDMI out

CON's
you loose cell service...you loose nav, internet radio, etc...
Android software hardly works for shit
Bluetooth has trouble connecting from time to time.
Dodgy Pioneer AppRadio App
Long load times between apps/radio/ipod
No CD/DVD player

Last edited:

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
I've been looking at these for a while now, no disc drive kills it for me. Seems like the perfect idea for a head unit though. I've got plenty DVDs for the kiddos that they watch and I'm too lazy to transfer all of them to play on my phone. Would be easier to just pop one in and press play.

Add a DVD/Blueray drive and I'll buy it.

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
I could give a fuck about cds, only time I mess with them is when James wants me to make one for him. :lol: Only reason for the disk drive for me would be DVDs for the kids.

Last edited:

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
No kids, no care...Colin...better fix that!

I've never put a dvd in mine. Makes more sense now..forgot about movies. But I have no use for it either.

04SSHD

Master Debater
Staff member
Mar 23, 2012
Henderson, NV
bigdaddyfatsac.com
Most of the movies I care to watch are digital anyways. Not a problem for me. However the one thing that would make this BAMF is a HDD built into the radio like the MyGIG I have in my dodge. You can load shit into your radio and access it from your radio's local HDD.

No CD/DVD drive...not a problem for me either, most of my BMW's CDC's don't work anyways, and the other cars usually don't have anything in the CD drives. CD's are a thing of the past, you guys probably whinned when they took the tape decks, and 8 tracks away too.. lol

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
This is exactly whats holding me back from buying one of these - android compatibility is almost nonexistant, and if your service slows down or goes away you lose most of the radios functionality. Im sure better support is coming soon...

CUB

Jan 2, 2011
Shreveport, LA
wtf is grooveshark? searched for it in app store and got nothing but a remote for it.

It's on the computer.
Www.grooveshark.com
I believe the app is for android only.

You want to play Lil Boosie radio. Pandora puts everyone except Lil Boosie on the station and it pisses me off. I don't want to hear Lil Wayne, Chingy or JayZ on my Boosie Radio.

Grooveshark, you pick your artist, you get every fcking song they have played and you can create playlist etc etc.

They need an apple app
Cool...my pandora works just fine. Sounds good and has unlimited skip
:wank: go stick your dick in a glock barrel

Last edited:

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Unlimited skips, don't like the song, "thumbs down" or skip...come at me bro...stick your dick in that rattling ass interior.

Keeler

Mar 25, 2012
Claremore, Oklahoma
Unlimited skips, don't like the song, "thumbs down" or skip...come at me bro...stick your dick in that rattling ass interior.

How the fuck did you get unlimited skips? I have Pandora One and only get a handful.

Great idea for the stereo. Give it a year or two and it'll be way better.

Sent from my teepee

CUB

Jan 2, 2011
Shreveport, LA
How the fuck did you get unlimited skips? I have Pandora One and only get a handful.

Great idea for the stereo. Give it a year or two and it'll be way better.

Sent from my teepee

There's a iPhone jailbreak tweak that allows it. I'm sure Droids have something similar