What brand of gears would you buy?

a-fuso

GMC Owner
Mar 28, 2012
CA
Okay so I've done enough research to make my head spin, and every thread I read has different and contrasting results on what gears are better, made by who, and seems to change by the year :ninja:

So I'm asking, from what Summit racing sells (Richmond, Yukon, Motive, or G2) I like ordering from them because its local and shipping only takes 2 days
What brand gears have you run, would you buy, and why?

There's a pretty big difference in price, and I'm looking at 4.56 gears for a 9.5 sf 14 bolt rear and 8.25 IFS front gears

Got a price comparison from summit racing, and there's a big difference in price between the three brands here. (G2 costs the same as Richmonds)

Last edited:

Bootstrap

:nosewhat:
Feb 8, 2012
OKC
I wouldn't shy away from yukon motive or g2, get the best deal

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

TILLER

Aug 28, 2012
Hallsville Tx
I ran yukon 4.56s in my ext cab with no problems at all, they were the "best" when I did my research a couple years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a-fuso

GMC Owner
Mar 28, 2012
CA
Well motive seem to be the cheapest anywhere I look.

Are there any strength or longevity issues with 4.56 in our little front diffs? I'm only gonna be running 33s too

Gannon

That Guy
Jun 10, 2012
Logansport, Louisiana
Pretty much what everybody in the thread said, minus Matt, come on man. Lol. I have them and have never had a problem with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal
Whatever you do, make sure they won't hum.
Mine hum, which the shop SWORE they wouldn't. And told me motive/Yukon will.

fortplainman

official CGM slut
Feb 8, 2012
utica ny
i paid 880 for motive front, rear, trutrac, install kits to my door from ron over on pt.net. mine hum very faintly at light throttle or as soon as you let off but ive been told its the way the gears were cut :shrug:

Last edited:

Silver04

DA04
Aug 7, 2012
Firebaugh Ca
I've read that Richmond whine. I've also been looking at gears I was gnna go with motives but seems like they no Buenos from these posts.

a-fuso

GMC Owner
Mar 28, 2012
CA
Yeah I've read so many differing things while searching idk what to think. Seems that all have had issues in the past, including yukon. But I can't find many threads from recently, most 2010-2013.

That being said ive read that motives will whine because of how they're cut, I don't really care if it makes noise in 4x4, but I definitely don't want the rear to whine.

I was reading on a jeep forum this morning that G2 gears are pretty good now, so I may go with those...

a-fuso

GMC Owner
Mar 28, 2012
CA
I've also read about lots of ring gear teeth failures from motives used in the 8.6 rear in the f-bodies. There's just so many stories, adn I'm sure you will read more bad than good like anything.

I just don't wanna have to tear it apart in a year or two and redo it all because the teeth broke off my gears lol