4.8L Performance?

Why do the 4.30 say it's from a ford? Cams what brand would yall recommend le most, tune I'm considering blackbear & what's a stall? I plan on keeping le 4.8 till I'm done paying it at least! Block seems to much right know for me I want to start bottom up

Cam if staying 4.8 run a 224 cam from tsp but if you go 6.0 have pat g or Geoff at eps custom grind you one! Then drive to nelson performance. And get a street tune.... dyno tunes are again worthless and nothing to brag about...

Yank stall for sure or take a chance with a circle d! And also dont be afraid to get a big stall... my suv had a tight phx 3600 and noone could tell driving it! Im a fan of big stalls and you can rev this engines so high a little stall is worthless
If u get the tsp 224 get you a tight 3400 stall thatll out your brake stall at about 3k if you plan to spray get a multidisk 3600 and custom grind cam!

Negative 4.30 is a 8.5-8.6 gm gear im 100% sure!
GM 8.5" 4.30 RING AND PINION USA STANDARD GEAR 8.6" CHEVY 10 BOLT

3.73s are like condoms vs. Raw doggin it, not as fun as a lower gear! 3.90 is a great gear for trucks especially if not lifted! A 29"-31" tire and 3.90s aand that thing will roll out great!!!

On the 4.30s suggestion i just all around like that gear! In racing world of trucks 4.56s are a mans gear! Well for a lowered or levelled truck a 4.30 would be your man gear!!!

But as far as ford gears i know plenty of gm nnbs/nbs trucks running ford gears like 5.00s and 4.86s cause the are 9" with 4link.... so many variables i do however know first hand from multiple cammed and fully bolted trucks a good gear and 80e is a must or your throwing your money away on that 60e-70e

Also depending on yr trans i wouldnt waste your money on a servo... they do improve trans so little your better off gettin and 80e and throwing a shift kit in it and beating it to hell! Mic ran for over a yr beating on his truck that makes 1300hp daily driven... he has a th400 now with gv's

Last edited:
Okayy i order my GM 8.5" 4.30 RING AND PINION USA STANDARD GEAR 8.6" CHEVY 10 BOLT and im hoping to order my yank stall tomorrow BUT
I went to the yank website couldn't find any other place i can get it? I went threw every single one of them and couldnt find as far a cam ill get those
next mnth. Okayy on the 80e are yall talking about the 4l80e shift kit or transmission?

Okayy i order my GM 8.5" 4.30 RING AND PINION USA STANDARD GEAR 8.6" CHEVY 10 BOLT and im hoping to order my yank stall tomorrow BUT
I went to the yank website couldn't find any other place i can get it? I went threw every single one of them and couldnt find as far a cam ill get those
next mnth. Okayy on the 80e are yall talking about the 4l80e shift kit or transmission?

The whole transmission! Id do an 80e swap and save yourself the headache of blowing 60e's over and over!

KBRacing & Trick Performance Products over on performancetrucks.net fab them. Both have awesome reviews.

KBRacing & Trick Performance Products over on performancetrucks.net fab them. Both have awesome reviews.

Not to down Trick but Allen at NP has a whole table full of Turbo headers tricks made and broke then the owner went to Allen for one off kit! They look bout like obx header welds and crack quite often! He is also a sponsor on pt and ls1truck maybe join there for more info on performance

Not to down Trick but Allen at NP has a whole table full of Turbo headers tricks made and broke then the owner went to Allen for one off kit! They look bout like obx header welds and crack quite often! He is also a sponsor on pt and ls1truck maybe join there for more info on performance

I haven't read enough to know that, just suggesting the ones I knew of off the top of my head. Good info to keep in mind down the road though, thanks.

I haven't read enough to know that, just suggesting the ones I knew of off the top of my head. Good info to keep in mind down the road though, thanks.

I hear you there i literally read on ls1truck/hpt/rgv non stop it seems

Theres guys in Houston gettin 5.3s into 12.0s N/A i will find video of the truck its a monster custom grind cam with healthy heads to match! Truck moves out and prob fastest n/a 5.3 around! Gen 4 5.3s are a whole new beast! My brothers will take out and gen 3 cam only 5.3 without a single doubt and its very mildly modded besides th400 and a huge stall!

Here is red lobster by khp na 5.3 w/custom spec'd cam 23x/23x duration with a mile of lift

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you have a 4l60e in the truck but bought the 4l80e shift kit?

Wow I'm jelly of that red rcsb. Sounds healthy and looks good.

Ok so you have a 4.8 and 4l60e with the hd shift kit. I would start with LT's, ory, 3" exhaust to a straight through muffler like a magnaflow. Would go ahead and do a servo and a nice stall in the tranny to beef it up a bit more to hold power better then would go ahead and gear with trutrac and a custom tune from BB possibly. After that may want to look into cam and heads. After all that and want more then i wouldnt waste anymore money going to FI and just pick you up a 6.0 block and a 80e and build it up. You will see a big improment going to 6.0 and 80e from a 4.8 and 60e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok so you have a 4.8 and 4l60e with the hd shift kit. I would start with LT's, ory, 3" exhaust to a straight through muffler like a magnaflow. Would go ahead and do a servo and a nice stall in the tranny to beef it up a bit more to hold power better then would go ahead and gear with trutrac and a custom tune from BB possibly. After that may want to look into cam and heads. After all that and want more then i wouldnt waste anymore money going to FI and just pick you up a 6.0 block and a 80e and build it up. You will see a big improment going to 6.0 and 80e from a 4.8 and 60e.

Good info but if plans of turbo in future just purchase shorty headers because your throwing away money on longtubes! If going tvs longtubes all the way! And strongly suggest 1 7/8-2 intermediates if goin tvs! Arh makes awesome headers and hug the hell outta the block!

I wish we could get Jake aboard for a good trans sponsor, he makes a mean 80e with a trans brake! And fairly priced as well!

Good info but if plans of turbo in future just purchase shorty headers because your throwing away money on longtubes! If going tvs longtubes all the way! And strongly suggest 1 7/8-2 intermediates if goin tvs! Arh makes awesome headers and hug the hell outta the block!

I wish we could get Jake aboard for a good trans sponsor, he makes a mean 80e with a trans brake! And fairly priced as well!

Very true. If turbo i'd rather do it on a 6.0 and have it built from ground up for a turbo set up and then dropped in the truck. But your very true with the whole lt's vs shorties. I'd much rather seem him do few things if u must to this set up and start the build for a 6.0/80e and have it ready to drop in whenever the time arises.