Important!: So I decided to go lower...not much, but lower without a doubt.

Not sure why people think its a pain. Just use a grinder to grind down the heads of the rivets then smack them with a center punch, they fall right out. At least for me they did. :shrug:

Also, the reason companies do not make shit that works from the get go is the parts are aftermarket. GM designed the suspension yo work a certain way under certain criteria. You change that criteria and you change the way things work. It's always a trade off for something. You want a lower ride height, you will give up some of your turning radius for that change.

Last edited:
You must have gotten lucky,it takes a while,did an obs lastnight and after fucking with them all night i blew them out with a torch the next morning,grinded both sides down,air chisel at 175psi ,couldnt get them to move,drilled,still wouldn't move

I understand it being aftermarket...but with MCG being patented and what not, why couldn't they produce a spindle that has all the shit done to it already that you all are listing I need to do once buying said spindle?

My thing is, I don't want to have to "mod" shit just to mod my truck. If going low is important yeah, sure, I guess I will. Just seems like a valid question. This isn't a new platform, you would think after a few years you wouldn't need to cut and grind.

These threads are what I like to see when getting ready to do shit to a vehicle. It gets EVERYTHING out in the open for all to see and make an informed decision, instead of jumping in head first and finding out later on it was a bad idea.

For those who don't know me, I fully research, investigate, and question everything until I am satisfied and confident to make the purchase. Call me crazy, but I think of it as being wise.

I understand it being aftermarket...but with MCG being patented and what not, why couldn't they produce a spindle that has all the shit done to it already that you all are listing I need to do once buying said spindle?

My thing is, I don't want to have to "mod" shit just to mod my truck. If going low is important yeah, sure, I guess I will. Just seems like a valid question. This isn't a new platform, you would think after a few years you wouldn't need to cut and grind

The reason McGaughys mounts their spindles that way is to have the best BJ angles. Picture it, If the BJ bolts into the factory location - all of the angle correction is the responsibility of the spindle, and aftermarket spindles dont/cant correct most of the angle caused by this. If the BJ mounts above the factory location, and the spindle retains the factory spindle angle (or close to it) - then the only requirement the spindle has to satisfy is the raising of the hub (thus lowering the truck).

If you do not want to put in the work modding your vehicle, suspension lowering or lifting is not for you; go ahead and stay stock - or go with coils and leafs as they bolt straight up for install/uninstall. Easy as that. Most spindles require you to flip the LBJ anyways. All of the lowering 'mods' discussed can be removed and returned to factory in a days work. If you ever want to replace your lower BJs the grinding and cutting will need to be done anyways - and who knows, a set of moog LBJs might fix, or help fix, your front end issues you are having now. I know you, and completely understand your desire to research everything until you are an expert and know every facet of the parts and labor, and ill never hate on you for it (its partially why I copycat some of the mods you do lol) - but you are making this more difficult than it needs to be. If you want a certain type of ride, are aware of the parts that you will need to attain this type of ride, and can afford them - order them; we will have them on in a weekend!

You must have gotten lucky,it takes a while,did an obs lastnight and after fucking with them all night i blew them out with a torch the next morning,grinded both sides down,air chisel at 175psi ,couldnt get them to move,drilled,still wouldn't move

Its pretty simple if you do it the way I said in my previous post.

Drill the rivets about halfway down, insert bolt into the hole that you've drilled, then either beat them out with a hammer or press them out. I recommend using close to a 3/8" bit.

Brandon, one cannot gain that info without proper research or questioning...being that this is a new forum, my intent is to get ALL info here so that other new members can gain the same wealth of knowledge I did, or copy me, such as yourself.

I don't mind coming off as a "noob", dick, etc.

I do this so I feel comfortable at the end of the day to take that leap.

Brandon, one cannot gain that info without proper research or questioning...being that this is a new forum, my intent is to get ALL info here so that other new members can gain the same wealth of knowledge I did, or copy me, such as yourself.

I don't mind coming off as a "noob", dick, etc.

I do this so I feel comfortable at the end of the day to take that leap.

I understand your wanting to research and get info on here, and I am a firm believer in over-researching and/or taking an educated persons advice, that is why i added my input - i really wasnt trying to come across as rude; just being upfront. Weve gotten all of the info in this thread to ease your uncertain mind (and others') for a 2/4 drop with plenty of good options and opinions - its ultimately up to you to make the decision. Everyone is a newb sometimes, and you arent being a dick in this thread (yet?). Take the leap Jared! Let us know what you are doin and post up any other questions!

I am pretty sure I am doing it, just want to ensure the route I take is the best one for me...you know me well enough to know I will back peddle and change my mind a few times. I want the best at the end of the day, but the best is debatable...

I am pretty sure I am doing it, just want to ensure the route I take is the best one for me...you know me well enough to know I will back peddle and change my mind a few times. I want the best at the end of the day, but the best is debatable...

yep - 'best' is subjective, make it best for your situation. Just dont make the decision harder than it needs to be and drive yourself nuts lol.

also do et during may and Ill have gobs of free time to come help ya install it all. :happy:

I would go with the 17" mcgaughys spindles. Bagged guys are usually the ones that want the 16" spindles because it keeps the factory geometry.

I've read 2 different things about the 16'' and 17''. NorTex "Zach" Sold me the 17'' ones cause stuff I read was that the 17'' keeps everything stock like. So now Im having buyers remorse LOL.

I've yet to put them on too until I get the flip kit with lift shackles.

I have 2 trucks with 17+ MCG spindles, one has dezert1500 mod...when the other truck is apart again, It will be done also...I lost some turning radius, after driving a while, I just learned the ins and outs of where I could turn and never thought twice, the spindles for the silverado were already done when I bought them. and it definitely turns somewhat better. The spindles are made with the reduced steering for the guys running bigger wheels and tires turning too sharply while moving and grabbing a wheel/tire in fender wells and damagaing it and bitching to Mcgaughys, hence them engineering with a stop, as kind of an idiot stopper for those who dont know how to drive lowered...

If you do get the 17" spindles then either plan on finding a 18" or bigger spare wheel or you need to grind down both lbj studs if you have a flat to run your 17" spare or you can pull a rear wheel off to put on the front then put the spare on the rear. 16" spindle you wont have to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk