Slow RCSB bagged build

That sir, is some pretty welding. I want a damn tig machine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

That sir, is some pretty welding. I want a damn tig machine.

Thanks man, tig is nice but I think at home unless your doing non ferrous stuff a mig will take care of most anything. Anything I can mock up off the truck I just take to work and weld up. I think at home I wouldn't use tig all that much, would be more of a bonus than a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah. Ok. I did just buy a sandblast cabinet today. And I'm in love with it.

Cleaned up the truck today so took some pics with new wheels. Mainstream boss 313s but I was sick and tired of the +22 offset and stretched 265/35/22s. Decided Narrowing the rear end is just not in the cards, so needed more offset in the back. Not sure if it's brand or change in sidewall but these 285/35/22 nitto 420s ride so much nicer, and there is less bumpsteer for some reason. And biggest of all they are not stretched anymore, flush or just a slight bulge. Fronts now rub the shocks at full lock, got some 1/4" spacers on order, if these don't fix it I will relocate the shocks.

Ride height, had to raise it up a little due to my fenders/firewall needing more clearance.
azuny9et.jpg

Laid out
u3uda2ed.jpg

hahahu3u.jpg

Thanks, the lip makes a huge difference in the look that I was unaware of until I changed. And the all black can't really tell what's going on with the wheels

So I said fuck work already and told them I'm not coming in so I can finish my truck. I've been waiting too long to get this done. I only have 5 hrs during the week and 8 on the weekends to work on it, as I'm doing this at the hobby shop and their hours had been cut back due to budget. Anyway here's the progress, grinding bedliner off is a total bitch!!! That's probably what's taking the longest, fabbing really isn't that bad.

Bed off
qyrenevy.jpg

medasubu.jpg

Cut lines marked with 3" wide tape, later I sprayed a coat of black paint over it to get a nice clean contrasting line.
qu9azyte.jpg

Front bulkhead removed, drilling spot welds also sucks ass, there's only like 500 of them holding the bed together. Spot weld cutter is a life saver tho, doing it with reg drill bits would have taken 2x the time and would make a welding headache.
6anagy6y.jpg

Rear spot welds drilled
ru6a6e7a.jpg

3" section removed
nu8a8unu.jpg

Rear corners cut
qu9agu4a.jpg

I am in the process of fitting up backing strips made from the cut out pieces, after that I can weld'em up. Bed is really flimsy, had I not put in the braces it would have just folded on itself, really should have put some running front to back also or triangulated. But it should be ok as long as I hit my measurements.

Last edited:
Nice truck, just read through it all. I thought my caster being 5° off was bad, but I guess I'm good. I have mine aligned right before I start tucking on a 265/35/22. I do have one more degree of camber on the passenger side at ride height which I think is weird. I'm on stock arms and an Ekstensive two link out back. I can skate it no problems.

I honestly think it's from the kick out that the frame makes on that side. Cause mine is maxed out on the pass side only, and I have to be at 28" ride height or I'll have positive camber any higher...but only on the pass side.

More progress, bed is almost complete. Just some small stuff to fab up and that's a wrap for the bed. Extend bed supports, rear bed floor crossmember, weld everything up, put back the front bulkhead and possibly outer wheel tub supports.

Backing strips made from the sectioned out pieces. Works out perfect cause they are already the shape it needs to be.
ygevymeb.jpg

6yna6y4e.jpg

Floor raised up
evura6yd.jpg

u8eva3ej.jpg

Rear cuts tacked in, this is what confused me the most prior, so hopefully this helps someone out later.
2ahazyse.jpg

u7uqemud.jpg

Thanks Jared!

More progress today. Fab work is pretty much done, just need to finish weld everything. It looks like a truck bed again, after it's all done should look completely stock to the untrained eye. Not sure what I'm gonna do about the bedliner yet, the current one is all hacked up now and I don't think it can be grafted with new liner. I may just get some diy bedliner for now to look semi decent.

Front bulkhead tacked in
hahajyre.jpg

baze4ejy.jpg

Rear gap closed up with some 1/8" flat bar(for rigidity when it gets stepped on). I used the old sliver from where I cut off the tail, to retain the factory rolled edge of the bed, probably never will be seen but I would still know and probably couldn't live with it like that.
y3eze5yr.jpg

e3eravaq.jpg

Unfortunately, we have neither of those companies out here, there are only 2 local companies that do it but I don't trust them. Stranded on an island sucks

Ok beds pretty much done, just need to seam seal a couple of areas later. Just por15ed the bare metal areas until I figure out what I want to do with the bedliner.

Support rods extended
yma7u7e6.jpg

Side
ate9e7ep.jpg

Front bulkhead
uzusaheq.jpg

After por
u9ude5ej.jpg

2u4uveze.jpg

Honestly with the tailgate closed, can't even really tell a difference, but with the bed on I have 5" of clearance from the top of the frame to bed floor. This should be plenty of room to keep my notch under the floor and still lay out. Just need to check the rear end but I doubt it will be a problem.

I will be starting on the suspension tomorrow, actually will probably be redoing everything cause it's a mess back there. Adding another 5 gal, raise gas tank and clean up all wiring/plumbing.

Before for reference
beqypave.jpg

y3ejadeg.jpg

Thanks boys.

Made a little progress today, not as much as I would have liked but oh well. Got 12 hr work days coming up so not too sure how much I'll be getting done during the week.

Gas tank and accuair stuff ripped out, main wiring harness moved out of the way for now.
7eqe5a5u.jpg

4 link mocked up to get axle centerline.
7a9upama.jpg

Next up will be installing step notches, raising gas tank and redoing air management/plumbing.