Shortening rear end questions, HELP!

I have a NNBS and for the same spec rear I ended up cutting 4" per side and I know peyton ended up cutting 4" per side on his nbs as well with the same 24x10 4"bs spec wheel, but I have a feeling him being bagged makes a huge difference and my fit was TIGHT to my leafs at 4".

8.5 is a def the right choice. IMO 22's are a perfect fit for a NBS style truck, but if you want 24s go for it. Just make sure you nail the backspacing. I measured mine and its PERFECT, very tight to bedside, but doesn't rub. Ive seen a few cut trucks that have like .5-1" of clearance from bed, but to mean they look funny, wheels are to far sucked in

See that's exactly what a want, something that's right next to the bedsides and not sunk in. I feel like the fender pinch makes it look more sunk in.

Last edited:
I have a NNBS and for the same spec rear I ended up cutting 4" per side and I know peyton ended up cutting 4" per side on his nbs as well with the same 24x10 4"bs spec wheel, but I have a feeling him being bagged makes a huge difference and my fit was TIGHT to my leafs at 4".

Do you have any pictures? Cause the wheel did stick out like 3" and that was test fitted without a tire. Let me post some pictures.

also we are both on 295/30R24 in the rear

best of mine showing the rear are...
6e0jdx.jpg

1571ykn.jpg

2mcdt6u.jpg

If I had my truck currently I would get you some better pics, but it is in progress of being bagged and out of state

peyton does not have any up close of the rears posted, but his just for reference

w2hxu1.jpg

29avdr5.jpg

maybe he will chime in and get you some better pics of the rear. I do believe they are a little tucked considering I did mine for bagging purposes and so did Peyton, so you can probably get away with a little less of a narrow than we did.

also we are both on 295/30R24 in the rear

best of mine showing the rear are...

If I had my truck currently I would get you some better pics, but it is in progress of being bagged and out of state

peyton does not have any up close of the rears posted, but his just for reference

maybe he will chime in and get you some better pics of the rear. I do believe they are a little tucked considering I did mine for bagging purposes and so did Peyton, so you can probably get away with a little less of a narrow than we did.

It's all good man, yeah I think I can probably get away with a little less cutting since you guys are on bags for tucking purposes. Here's mine, unfortunately I'm not home to take pictures with a tape measure. I took these the day I did some test fitting and sticked out like 3 1/4"

Last edited:
judging from what you said and measurements and how you want it to fit, I would go with 3.25-3.5 for cutting. If that is bolted up and you are measuring 3.25", 3" I do not believe will clear. Based on your physical measurements, think about where you want that wheel. Measure how far in from the bed, if any, you want to tuck and I am thinking that will be your measurement, unless for some reason I am missing something. That is how I would look at it at least.

I agree with what's above. If you're sticking out 3 1/4" from the bedside, you're going to need to narrow at least 3 1/2" if you want those to be comfortable to drive on.

To be completely honest, I'd rather have it sucked in a little than have it too flush and have it takin paint off, beating up bedsides and possibly damaging tires and or wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

judging from what you said and measurements and how you want it to fit, I would go with 3.25-3.5 for cutting. If that is bolted up and you are measuring 3.25", 3" I do not believe will clear. Based on your physical measurements, think about where you want that wheel. Measure how far in from the bed, if any, you want to tuck and I am thinking that will be your measurement, unless for some reason I am missing something. That is how I would look at it at least.

Thanks for the help, yeah I was thinking of shortening it 3.5" but will measure again once I'm home. What is the most you can narrow the rear end with out relocating the leaf springs?

I agree with what's above. If you're sticking out 3 1/4" from the bedside, you're going to need to narrow at least 3 1/2" if you want those to be comfortable to drive on.

To be completely honest, I'd rather have it sucked in a little than have it too flush and have it takin paint off, beating up bedsides and possibly damaging tires and or wheels
I agree too, I'm thinking 3.5" would be perfect. I'm scared of my bedsides getting damaged.

Last edited:
I made it work with 4" and drums in the rear for temporary until they began my bag build, but it was tight. I think you will be fine at 3.5 and I think the census is 3.5 to be safe and your measurement is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made it work with 4" and drums in the rear for temporary until they began my bag build, but it was tight. I think you will be fine at 3.5 and I think the census is 3.5 to be safe and your measurement is correct.

I'm going to measure a couple more times. I've been on Google just searching like crazy of wheel fitment. Most of the trucks that I've searched are fleetside (NBS) with a 2.5" narrow, depending on tire size of course. They all have the same backspace as my wheels so I'm thinking that 3" narrow would clear just fine, like Tukn4s had mention.

w2hxu1.jpg

29avdr5.jpg

he may chime in but no need for him to. I'm the one that did his axle specs. I'm not saying that I know it all, but I've done this more times I can count but again, the only thing I have to go off of is what people tell me. Pictures are worth 1000 words. NBS trucks require a maximum of 4.25" front spacing to sit inside the bedsides.

24x10 4" BS have 7" of Front spacing.
so 7"-4.25"=2.75" narrowing per side.
I always advise .25" more on over the phone/internet measurements.

this is why I advised a 3".

3" is minimal per side. I like as little gap as possible and that's what he asked for. Again, He needs to measure for himself, especially with it being stepside. I did not se that in the original, unedited 1st post, would have made me calrify that more.

Last edited:
he may chime in but no need for him to. I'm the one that did his axle specs. I'm not saying that I know it all, but I've done this more times I can count but again, the only thing I have to go off of is what people tell me. Pictures are worth 1000 words. NBS trucks require a maximum of 4.25" front spacing to sit inside the bedsides.

this is why I advised a 3". 3" is minimal per side. I like as little gap as possible and that's what he asked for. Again, He needs to measure for himself, especially with it being stepside. not saying that in the original post, would have made me calrify that more.

Makes sense to me. I know you have a lot more experience than I do, just wanted to show him what 4" looked like picture wise and that they do tuck in some, but that is how I wanted mine and how he wanted (but you know that since you helped him).

Only thing I can think of is if he is measuring 3.25" from lip to bedside, then shouldn't his minimum be 3.25" to tuck and pretty much be against bedside? I am learning as well and I agree, stepside might change things up a little, but just from his physical measurements, assuming they are correct, you would think he needed a min of 3.25" or did I misread what you said and you recommend 3.3"?

Makes sense to me. I know you have a lot more experience than I do, just wanted to show him what 4" looked like picture wise and that they do tuck in some, but that is how I wanted mine and how he wanted (but you know that since you helped him).

Only thing I can think of is if he is measuring 3.25" from lip to bedside, then shouldn't his minimum be 3.25" to tuck and pretty much be against bedside? I am learning as well and I agree, stepside might change things up a little, but just from his physical measurements, assuming they are correct, you would think he needed a min of 3.25" or did I misread what you said and you recommend 3.3"?
fixed that confusion.

he is suppose to be taking pictures with a tape measure in them to see exactly what it is. Like I said before, I don't know everything, but I have done a ton of these specs for people and haven't had a problem arise so far.

here is stock axle with the least amount of front spacing you can run to be inside the bedsides.
this is minimal clearance. 7" in the rear

these wheels are 24x9.5 +25mm offset (4.25" front spacing)
OP's wheels are 24x10 4" backspacing (7" front spacing), by his specs

there for the difference is 2.75". add in the fact he is running a 295/30 on them and he wants to be 8" in the rear.
I just state 3" minimal for the rear. its up to him to decide how much actual clearance he wants to have and what he wants to trim.

fixed that confusion.

he is suppose to be taking pictures with a tape measure in them to see exactly what it is. Like I said before, I don't know everything, but I have done a ton of these specs for people and haven't had a problem arise so far.

here is stock axle with the least amount of front spacing you can run to be inside the bedsides.
this is minimal clearance. 7" in the rear

these wheels are 24x9.5 +25mm offset (4.25" front spacing)
OP's wheels are 24x10 4" backspacing (7" front spacing), by his specs

there for the difference is 2.75". add in the fact he is running a 295/30 on them and he wants to be 8" in the rear.
I just state 3" minimal for the rear. its up to him to decide how much actual clearance he wants to have and what he wants to trim.

Understood now, thanks for the clarification and I see now that you separated the sentences. I appreciate you explaining to me as well, gives me a better understanding.

this is why I advised a 3".

3" is minimal per side. I like as little gap as possible and that's what he asked for. Again, He needs to measure for himself, especially with it being stepside. I did not se that in the original, unedited 1st post, would have made me calrify that more.

Unfortunately I'm unable to take pictures of the wheels fitted t'll over the weekend due to my schedule.

Sorry I did not mention it was a Stepside a head of time. I did get to measure the backspace of the wheels I TEST FITTED and it had a 4.25" backspace.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm unable to take pictures of the wheels fitted t'll over the weekend due to my schedule.

Sorry I did not mention it was a Stepside a head of time. I did get to measure the backspace of the wheels I TEST FITTED and it had a 4.25" backspace.

But the ones that I placed an order on have a 4" backspace, I called Raceline to confirm and yes they're being built with a 4" backspace.

If that is true, what makes this more interesting is the backspacing was more on that rim you test fitted and you still measured needing 3.25" (if your measurement was correct). If you end up with the 4"bs, that increases your lip and adds another .25" making it 3.5"

Need to make sure your measurements are correct because thats an interesting difference between a fleet and step side

If that is true, what makes this more interesting is the backspacing was more on that rim you test fitted and you still measured needing 3.25" (if your measurement was correct). If you end up with the 4"bs, that increases your lip and adds another .25" making it 3.5"

Need to make sure your measurements are correct because thats an interesting difference between a fleet and step side

I will make sure to remeasure everything, I will take pictures as well.

But thank you all for your help.