ITGuy's 2003 Sierra 1500/2500 4x4 RCLB Build Thread

Raining out :bird:

Center caps installed. I'll have to install the flares and then the liners tomorrow. Too tired to line things up and drill new tabs tonight
IMG_20140929_221723519_zpsdxjtufjx.jpg

Tucked away safe and sound.
IMG_20140929_194451139_zps9tq2scv8.jpg

Sooooooo Pretty! One day I will have a rclb lbz set up very similar to this as a work truck.

The height front and rear looks perfect, can't wait to see the fender flares installed.

fuck me my truck sucks :eek:kay: this this is gorgeous ...i would sleep in the truck if i where you... and also not sure it work in merica but here you can get the truck re appraised so when (not if) when this truck gets stolen the insurance pays for some of the mods and stuff.

:skeet: :skeet: :skeet: :skeet:

Well I still have the back half frame to paint, after the wells and flares. I also need to clean up that ugly rear differential.

But yeah it's really coming together. I would like to lower the front just a 1/2" That would still give me almost an inch higher in the front.
I just need a little more travel / cushion, but I will leave it mostly how it is. It's growing on me. You don't see anything like it around these parts.

I will also note that there is rubbing in reverse around 3/4 lock. Maybe slight rubbing forward / left turn @ full lock.
I can fix this easily, but it's just the negative offset on those rims. Very agressive! I'll end up trimming the edging on the bottom the lower bumper.
There is a 1/2" lip below the lower bumper, probably for a skirt, that is rubbing. I'll have more time this week to do some fine tuning and then a more proper photoshoot.

I am having 2nd thoughts about the flares, but they are well done and colormatched properly. I just can't sit by and sandblast my paint with these tires, even tough I will not be driving it very much after this.

Note: The steering is tight & responsive with the linkage upgrades, supports and new idler assembly. I am pleased with that.
I need to get under the front end while someone turns it left and right and look for any flex in my welds.

Last edited:
The rear flares need to be installed first according the the fender well liner instructions.
The liners cover the inner lip of the flares. It also has a slight overhang out of the bottom, like a minature mudflap.

I'll review fitment when I have some time and drill a few holes to match the stock holes that are already located in the fender.

Also ordering those 1500 keys today.. they are cheap / common anyway.

Dont do that!!!! Its a pain in the ass. Get the wheel liner in, then put the flares on. The liners damn near ripped both my rear flares off when I put them in. They like to fight.

Dont do that!!!! Its a pain in the ass. Get the wheel liner in, then put the flares on. The liners damn near ripped both my rear flares off when I put them in. They like to fight.

The wheel liner instructions call for the plastic mounts to go through the flare and into the fender.

If I did it your way, I would drill new holes through the flare to match fender stock holes, and drill right through the fender well liners as well.
The flares also came with metal hardware vs. plastic, but not sure if I am going to use it or the stock plastic mounting hardware.
I can see it being a PITA to install with nothing holding the liner up or the flare up, trying to align it and then drill..

Also double checked my online order for the torsion keys..
Cognito 01-10 8 Lug Key Kit
I must have received the wrong keys... because this is the right part / order. :shrug:

Last edited:
Do you not have OEM flares? What you should do is put the liner in, drill the holes out that match the holes in the fender lip, then put the flares on. I ditched the factory push/pop clips for mounting the falres, and used the little plastic christmas tree a holes to mount it all together. So that one clip holds on the flare and the liner, so its flares, fender, liner.

Do you not have OEM flares? What you should do is put the liner in, drill the holes out that match the holes in the fender lip, then put the flares on. I ditched the factory push/pop clips for mounting the falres, and used the little plastic christmas tree a holes to mount it all together. So that one clip holds on the flare and the liner, so its flares, fender, liner.

I have OEM flares, but I bought them new and sprayed & cleared them to match the truck. They have no holes in them yet, and came with metal screws for mounting.

The fender liners came with the little plastic 'christmas tree' clips that can be used to hold it all together as you said.

Flares, Fender, Liner? Your liner fits inside the fender lip? I do not think mine will towards the back, it seemed to have a bit over overhang.
Did you trim the fender liner to fit then? Sorry for all the questions for such a trivial item haha.

Yeah that lip of the liner is supposed to go up behind the lip of the fender. I didnt have to trim anything, but they are kind of a pain in the ass. It does make it 3000% easier if you take the wheel/tire off.

Heres a half assed picture to show what it looks like

This is the ........... um....front of the passenger side. yeah....

Lol I didn't even put clips in mine to secure the liner to the fender lip. The 2 bolts where the fender supports attach were plenty to hold it in there :shrug: