How to remove inner tie rod?

Apr 8, 2012
Oklahoma City
Okayy so as I was trying to balances & align my truck today but I couldn't because they said my inner tie rod was fuckd up so I woundering if anybody knows how to replace or a thread I could look at its for my Gmc Sierra.

here you go...
Not quite sticky worthy... but should show on keyword search

Replaced outer Tierods and snapped a few pics for those that haven't done there's.

My outer tierod was worn causing a shimmy in the wheel at 50 to 60 MPH and when hitting a bump. The tierod tool isn't necessary but was a free loaner from Autozone. Even with 175 PSI and a strong Impact Wrench I still had to use a Butane Torch to heat the factory's LockTite to break the Tierod loose. If you have no tierod tool use a large wrench or large channel locks to break loose the tierod. The key for me was the torch... wouldn't budge without the heat.

TOOLS: 15/16" Wrench, 11/16 Socket, Large Channel Locks or Tierod Tool, Pliers, Cutters for Inner Boot Clamp, Butane Torch, Blue LockTite, New Tierod.

Tierod1.jpg

Loosen Tierod 15/16 jam nut, Remove Tierod retaining nut, Smack Spindle with Hammer to release outer Tierod.

Tierod2.jpg

Count the rotations when removing outer Tierod to get back to close specs for easier frontend alignment.

Tierod3.jpg

Remove Jam Nut then Remove Boots Outer Squeeze Clamp

Tierod4.jpg

I worked a screwdriver under the inner clamp lifting enough to snip. Slip Boot down Tierod and Remove. You can use stainless hose clamp or a appropriate size ZipTie to replace the one time use inner clamp.

Tierod5.jpg

Tap back the plastic retainer. A screwdriver will cut the plastic. I used the blunt end of a long 3/8 drive extension.

Tierod6.jpg

Now Is When I Heated The Inners Retaing Bolt to Loosen The Factorys LockTite. If you can't find the inner Tierod tool Large Channel Locks will work.

Apply Blue LockTite to new Tierod, Install & Tighten, Slip Plastic Retainer Back Over New Tierod, As You Replace Boot Make Sure The Vent Tube That Runs Between Both Boots Is Inside Each Boot.

Tierod7.jpg

Clamp The Boot Down (Inner and Outer), Install Jam Nut, Re-Thread the Outer Tierod On with the Same Thread Count Recorded During Removal.

Tierod.jpg

The Orange Paint On The Rack Isn't a MOD It's Where I Hit a Spray Can In A WorkZone :rofljest:

make sure to inspect tool, nothing worse than getting started and having a tool that is stripped, fgt oreilly auto parts

Okayy about one month le wife wrecked my truck against the house don't ask me how but she hit the corner of the house which broke the outter tie rod which I replace I really didn't noticed that it would shack because I would change rims I went threw 28, 26, 24, 20 but always balanced & aligned but once I bought my 20's I noticed my left rim would shack which I then thought I needed to align & balance but when I went they told me my inner & outter tie rod where fuck so I replaced both today & it feels like I didn't even changed them. Help!

were they trashed? you could have been able to tell one they were off for sure due to slack/play in them.

what is shaking?

Okayy about one month le wife wrecked my truck against the house don't ask me how but she hit the corner of the house which broke the outter tie rod which I replace I really didn't noticed that it would shack because I would change rims I went threw 28, 26, 24, 20 but always balanced & aligned but once I bought my 20'sie Rod End, Inner Tie Rod End, I noticed my left rim would shack which I then thought I needed to align & balance but when I went they told me my inner & outter tie rod where fuck so I replaced both today & it feels like I didn't even changed them. Help!

If you did see a free playl at the tie rod and if the price is reasonable I would give it a try also. But probably it is not the wheel balance, as balancing is caused by the steering wheel to shimmy at lower speeds than 60. Also after doing the tie rod endchecked also the front end alignment. And also just an obervation when the inner tie rod ends tend to fail more often is wehn they will produce more play rather than the outter tie rod ends can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ginger, I think that dude is a troll of some sort. Not Ricardo...

Ric, have you looked into your rack and pinion? I was reading something a while back where there can be slop/play in them.