CUB's 07 Silverado

couldnt tell ya why that shit cracks just now it does. you may have needed to turn the heat town on the welder and maybe slower wire speed? not really sure on adjusting welders. wee rarely used that shit on metal. we'd use it on bumpers putting tabs back on, or fixing a tear on a bumper for used car department. the only time we used panel bond on metal was like bonding bedside to the bed. i dont know how that shit works or why it cracks. just know that it does. ive seen it happen before. buddy had shaved 3rd brake tailgate handle and roll pan. all 3 done with panel bond, all 3 cracked. showed the whole ooutline of the filler plates.

Last edited:
i dont think bondo shrinkage will show the filler plate unless its starting to crack. now if he did what cub did, hell yell will show through. its actuallyy usually the primer that shrinks into the bondo. if it wasnt finished with a fine enough grit sand paper(usually 180 sometimes even 220) then it will look all good and you paint it and in a few days you see the blocking scratches in the bondo. thats bondo shrinking.

Hmm I remember him talking about it at the shreveport meet but don't remember exactly what it was

You're scaring me asshole. Lol.
If it does fuck up a year from now, lesson learned. Ill buy the skin from Grant Or something. I kinda want to wrap my truck anyways.

lol i think it took a few yrs for his to crack. maybe yours wont, hopefully it wont. like you say if it does lessson learned.

I don't think the matte would look bad like on the top car.
ty6ubu5u.jpg

id grind that back out if i was you. you need to weld the whole filler plate up. if you dont it will end up cracking back through. youll see the whole outline of the whole filler plate. seen it happen a many of times. ive never shaved anything. i believe you can get a wet rag, tack a spot and cool it off . then go to the opposite side and tack it and cool off. basically like how you would tighten a wheel. is it gonna take a while? yea but this will be the best way to keep it from cracking back through. i wont do it right off the bat it may take a yr or so but it will eventually crack back throug. i promise you that.

Yup, Get a small spool of .023 wire since it doesn't need to be as hot as .035 and do small tac welds then use a wet rag to cool the tac. Do it on opposite sides until its completely welded. Done my 3rd brake light like that and had barely any warping. Also done by bed rails like that. I've yet to hear of a tailgate not warping though.

Truck looks good though. When are you planning on bagging it?

If you do start back welding it then don't just put a wet rag on it because using water to cool the metal will make it weak, dip a shop rag in motor grease and cool the welds with that it restores the metal properties..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Yup, Get a small spool of .023 wire since it doesn't need to be as hot as .035 and do small tac welds then use a wet rag to cool the tac. Do it on opposite sides until its completely welded. Done my 3rd brake light like that and had barely any warping. Also done by bed rails like that. I've yet to hear of a tailgate not warping though.

Truck looks good though. When are you planning on bagging it?
Ill keep that in mind, Thanks man. Bags, maybe next year. In a perfect world I woulda had parts already but tuition fucked me over this semester.
If you do start back welding it then don't just put a wet rag on it because using water to cool the metal will make it weak, dip a shop rag in motor grease and cool the welds with that it restores the metal properties..
Yea I've never heard of that wet rag working for anyone. I just don't see it cooling it down enough to prevent it warping.

^lol then have fisheyes all in your paint. we're not talking something structural here colyn. lol its a tailgate not a frame.

cub i take it youve never heat shrunk anything? they tought us in school, say you have a high spot like a nipple. heat it up chery red, then hammer and dolly it then wet rag to lock it into place.

I bet The oil would get pretty nasty. I've heard of people doing it before on thicker metals as a way of hardening the metal/weld. Would rather use compressed air or water though for sheetmetal. When I done my bed rails we cut out the top of the rail since it is a CC and has all those small holes and welded in one long piece of sheetmetal on each bed rail. Had barely any warping from the weld using the wet rag method.