bed covers: roll up vs fold

Looked up some videos on the roll n lock, and damn.. It's MUCH nicer than the off brand sliding cover my friend has on his ford I was comparing it to. His isn't retractable, doesn't have lock positions, and the roll box for it is huge.

Emailed the RNL guy in PA. Will get some info and try and offer 150 :datass:

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Last edited:
MOTHER FUCKER ITS SOLD. He only answered one email, I sent back another today then checked the ad, which I found to be deleted by its author :eek:kay: couple other roll n locks.. But for 600+..fuck that.

Back to choosing between roll up or fold...

The thing is, they are worth it compared to the shitty vinyl roll-ups. Most who start off with them, eventually replace them with a better one. I personally hate the hard style bedcovers.

Sometimes, in life, you get what you pay for. And if it's useful, it may be worth it in the end. The roll n locks are reinforced, and as the title says, you can lock them. Which I find to be handy.

My dad has a truxedo rollup and loves it..hasnt had any problems and he has had it well over a year

i hear ya Jared, but it is mainly for looks, protect bedrug, "mpg increase", Simply covering shit from wind/rain, and the occasional usefulness. only things i carry often is fishing shit..which, im either using it, or driving with it. if i ever did have to have it with me somewhere i shimmied my poles into the cab and had the tip stick out a few inches out the cracked open window.

also, a locking bed cover means nothing to me. since all the covers require the tailgate to be down in order to roll up, fold, slide the cover up..i could easily buy a tailgate lock for ~$50 iirc and wah-lah, locked bed and cover :imo:

Last edited:
suck it fgt, and you wont really gain any mpg. You MAY nab 1mpg, but doubtful. Who knows...

If just for looks then I feel ya, just never like the cheaper ones, cheap in the beginning but they never seemed to last as long. Snaps would break, or the vinyl would tear.

Just be patient, you'll find a deal

Yeah not expecting much, if any noticeable mpg gains, but it's a piece of mind knowing wind isn't swirling up in there potentially making things worse lol

I hear horror stories on those snap covers. DNW to have to snap on and off, especially in the winter. Would never buy

Last edited:
My GM Accessories cover was around the $400 mark. Get one off of NNBS since it's flat and according to my measurements between my dad's and my bed on the truck (he has 07 Sierra CCSB) they should fit.

The reason I'll only ever run a roll up is because it's more out of the way when you want to put an ATV or something big in the bed.

Had one of those aluinum tri-folding covers and it was a total PITA everytime we went to haul something. Had to remove the cover and stash it somewhere. Puts an end to impulse buys at Home Depot and shit.

Last edited:
:hmm: i read somewhere that if the cover sits inside the rails, they should fit between nbs and nnbs. but the rail widths are wider on nnbs so if it sits on top it wont be perfect? i'd like to be 100% sure before buying nnbs one. how in depth were dem measurements?

thats what im debating on too. the tri fold seems easier for quick access, but more of a pain if i need the whole bed. you dont have problems with the vinyl roll up in the winter do ya? a lot of the ones ive seen have 'tension adjustments' to accommodate for that

id love a roll n lock but i missed out on the opportunity by a couple days

ill check the truxedo, lund, and extang roll up covers and see how much new they are

I'll measure the width of my cover and that of my dad's. But IIRC I've done the math and shit will fit. Hell the rails are held onto the bed sides with the same dam clamps.

Measured inner width of rails and that was the same. And cover does not go to outer edge of bed rails on NNBS. I'll measure my cover tonight, and then my dad's when I'm at the camp tomorrow but I'm 90% sure it'll fit.

Last edited: