Important!: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT build thread!

Well, then so many just aren't as talented as you, because many have reported having to partially drop the pan. Either way, it's not that big of a deal!

a few truck guys isn't exactly ''many''. if you go to a much larger performance forum like ls1tech or corvetteforum, you will see basically nobody touches the pan unless they drop the pickup tube bolt into the pan. maybe it's just a truck vs. car thing....check ls1howto.com same process. i didn't invent it. just trying to save you time and money.

truck guys? Linz, I've read many threads on the g8 forums and fb pages, this is where I've read guys having to drop the pan, or partially drop the pan. Especially considering not everyone is an expert, and things happen, I'm prepared either way. I'm not stressing if I have to drop the pan!

I don't care either way. I have plenty of time, the car is sitting for 2 weeks in a garage...the heads will take me at least two weeks for the turnaround. It will be fine. If I have to drop it for any reason, I'm not going to be upset. In fact, I may drop it anyway to see of there is anything in the pan. Plus, there was a bit of debris, dirt etc above the valley cover. We may flush it all with some oil, drop the pan and change the oil and filter. Better safe than sorry.

I was just going to ask if you're worried about any debris from the failed lifters being in your engine? Was that one lifter the only bad one?

And dropping the oil pan isn't a big deal at all unless you have a 4wd truck, then it becomes a major process..

Am I worried? Yes, but I often overworry with things!

I think I'm sticking to my original plan and flushing shit that I can out and dropping the pan. Since the car sat so long, mice were chilling at the rear of the intake on the driver side and there was debris from them nesting. Thanks in part to a growing town, the farm behind us was torn down, and they broke ground making it a portion of a new subdivision plan. We've had a problem with field mice this winter, and even with all the poison and traps, they still are everywhere. Several neighbors have had major issue. I'm buying a cat and locking it in the garage for a month.

I had 2 or 3 bad lifters, the really bad one is the one pictured, looks like it was dropped on the concrete a couple times.

Yes sir. It had the exit plugged up. I had to shove it just to see what it was. It was so collapsed I had no idea what was inside.

Wow, that's crazy. Sucks you're seeing all these issues, but it'll be great when it's all done.

Agreed. Now to see how the oil pump and chain is. I decided to not replace them for now. But we'll see once I get the front apart. Didn't have the correct bolts for the puller last night since oreilly didn't have the correct size. Picking it all up today with some cleaner etc for the block and pistons. Chased all the threads last night and cleaned them all up.

The chain will look like a chain...unless its damaged u wont "see" a difference. If you do replace the pump, shim it so its nice and centered on the crank.

And these ls engine use roller chains so there isn't really any wear points since it operates in a complete oil bath too. When I did my cam swap my chain wasn't shiny or anything, literally still looked like a new chain with 100k miles on it

10458796_10204532378047878_3987258410603362696_n.jpg

Gotta order a new chain and pump this week just going to go ahead and do it. And ls7 maf.

Got my new solo cat in last night. Got a guy buying them for his car.

Does your area not do sniffer tests for inspections? I want to do Lts on the truck but if I recall they do check for them.