2000 Silverado 2500

haha This is where I'm stuck. I really want to do all this but I know its going to be expensive but I also plan on owning the truck for 5+yrs with no payment so gotta have some fun, right? We will see what happens, trying to read up and learn right now, definitely doing gears and true-trac.

But all I think about is how cool it would be to have a fast RCLB work truck that no one expected

Fast is all a relative term. You could put in a fully forged built high c/r 6.0 with a screaming cam, but then it won't feel like much after you realize who is faster (lighter) and you'll want more and more and more. Not to say the addiction isn't fun, but it takes a big wallet and a lot of motivation into something that will have little investment turnaround.

If you're really dedicated to your truck though just pick up a junkyard LQ9 and just build it on a stand then swap it in as your iron 6.0 accumulates miles. Or hang a procharger off the front and plow some banks!!

Fast is all a relative term. You could put in a fully forged built high c/r 6.0 with a screaming cam, but then it won't feel like much after you realize who is faster (lighter) and you'll want more and more and more. Not to say the addiction isn't fun, but it takes a big wallet and a lot of motivation into something that will have little investment turnaround.

If you're really dedicated to your truck though just pick up a junkyard LQ9 and just build it on a stand then swap it in as your iron 6.0 accumulates miles. Or hang a procharger off the front and plow some banks!!

this is very true. next truck i put $ into the motor will be an rcsb that's a toy and not daily driven. many times I've got pissed off and frustrated and wished I had a stock truck again lol
I'd definitely recommend having a second vehicle to daily if you're serious about doing everything.

This.

Since you said you plan on having the truck for 5 or so years, you should keep your eye out for a well priced, decent mile LQ9. Do heads, cam, LS2 timing chain, ported oil pump, and NNBS intake mani on a engine stand. Then just drop into place (not hard). Keep an eye out, and dont rush to find a motor. I bet you could score one for $700-$1000. If you can find one bare bones, for cheaper, your ahead of the game, and can build up from there.

Motor work is expensive, but if you can do the work yourself, find as much stuff cheaply/used but in good shape. It's really not terrible.

Hell, your truck, with LT's, ORY, tune, E-fans & 4.56's will feel alot better than it does now.

I am also on the fence, just like to wether to dig into motor or not. I already have an LQ4 with a tune, but I'm undecided if I want to do E-fans, cam(& supporting mods), heads, NNBS intake manifold, LT's, ORY, E-cutout, gears, maybe light weight pulleys, and a good stall, with built tranny. Go big.

OR just do what kyle kind of said, keep motor sort of stock; LT's, ORY, E-cutout, E-fans, gears.

Man you guys all make very good points. Maybe I'm starting to big with my thinking, I could easily keep simple like Kyle suggested and be a lot quicker and more fun. And then if I wanna step it up from there I always good but once I touch the inside of the motor there's no going back.

Picking up a LQ9 and putting it on a stand to tinker with would also be fun, give me a chance to work though it and learn a lot and then drop it in this truck or a toy I pick up. Definitely think this is the route I'll take since it's like the first step in making her fast. Thanks for the input guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd start with LTs, tune, gears and efans. Those alone will make a world of difference. Then if you pick up a LQ9, everything will easily swap over to the new motor. Do it in stages imo.

I think you'll need a new flexplate at minimum for the swap. I can't remember specifics since I've never had an iron head ls, but I think the crank snout is longer or something and uses a different flexplate and possibly converter... I'm sure a quick Google search will turn up more specifics.

I'd start with LTs, tune, gears and efans. Those alone will make a world of difference. Then if you pick up a LQ9, everything will easily swap over to the new motor. Do it in stages imo.

I agree stages would be best, gears and tru-trac first, then lt's, cutout and tune

I think you'll need a new flexplate at minimum for the swap. I can't remember specifics since I've never had an iron head ls, but I think the crank snout is longer or something and uses a different flexplate and possibly converter... I'm sure a quick Google search will turn up more specifics.

Yeah I know there's something specific with the iron LQ4's and 4l80's but there's a good chance if I do build an LQ9 it will end up in an s10, RCSB, or some other project I pick up for it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah i believe 99-00 lq4s have something different about the cranks... I'm not so sure an lq9 would mate to your 80e

I say get a 6.0 build it on a stand then get an f body to throw it in and keep truck to haul car around, then you can really drive the shit out of the car because you aren't driving it home

Got a good deal on these on GMFS with 300miles on them, saved me $150 and I need them, truck rides rough haha Just gotta find a warmish place to install them