00silvy's official 2000 Silverado Build thread

lmao, that's like saying I stomped a diesel, but it was a peterbuilt with a 53 foot trailer on the back.

hahahaha, just playin.

On a side note, fuel pump is about to kick the bucket. Will be swapping monday. truck can't even handle a WOT pull, not enough fuel pressure. It hesitates. It used to only do it if the tank was lower than 1/4 tank, but now it does it always.

hahahaha, just playin.

On a side note, fuel pump is about to kick the bucket. Will be swapping monday. truck can't even handle a WOT pull, not enough fuel pressure. It hesitates. It used to only do it if the tank was lower than 1/4 tank, but now it does it always.

how did u confirm its the pump?

how did u confirm its the pump?

fuel pump has been weak for a while, have to turn key on & off a few times for it start nicely, otherwise it cranks for a little while. And in the cold, it starts, and stalls if you dont keep you foot on the gas just a tad for 15-20 seconds. And when fuel tank is 1/4 tank, or lower, under wot acceleration, it will bog, or hesitate. When tank is full, didn't do it, but its progressively getting worse. And it whines something fierce. New fuel filter(I have the frame mounted fuel filter).

- - - - - - - - - -auto merged double post- - - - - - - - - -

Yes. Be careful till you change it

Sent from Tapashit

Plan is to change it monday.

put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel port and see what its reading....should be around 60psi...idk how that translates to metric system :crazy:

should be around dis

20150112_120530.jpg

http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net/13000043/images/returned-fuel_system.jpg

I also have a question. I used the intake mani from the LQ4 on my truck. And I have a returned style fuel setup (two lines, versus the 1 line that the 6L was setup with). And in the picture above, it shows that little nipple, with a line connected to it, running to the intake mani. Well I dont have a hose that can connect the intaki mani to the nipple. The port in the pic the hose runs to, is not open, it is solid/fulled plastic. I just have it venting to atmosphere. That going to cause any issues?

That is for the FPR, you NEED to have that hooked up, or run a C5 fuel filter with the built in FPR.
On my Sierra w/ TBSS intake I ran that hose to a T-fitting I added on another vacuum line since like you say another nipple does not exist.
This is probably your issue more so than the pump, although I'd imagine yours is ready to go with that many miles.
When my pump went it just straight died and left me stranded. Hardly any sign of near failure.

And yeah, running lean means your afr is too little fuel and too much air and can burn up your motor (especially on a WOT pull it'll start to melt down). Too rich and you can wash your cylinder walls with fuel.

That is for the FPR, you NEED to have that hooked up, or run a C5 fuel filter with the built in FPR.
On my Sierra w/ TBSS intake I ran that hose to a T-fitting I added on another vacuum line since like you say another nipple does not exist.
This is probably your issue more so than the pump, although I'd imagine yours is ready to go with that many miles.
When my pump went it just straight died and left me stranded. Hardly any sign of near failure.

And yeah, running lean means your afr is too little fuel and too much air and can burn up your motor (especially on a WOT pull it'll start to melt down). Too rich and you can wash your cylinder walls with fuel.

What is another vacuum line I can hook that up to? Your sierra has the returned fuel setup also? (two fuel lines connecting to fuel rails)

yeah both of my trucks are return style.
There is a vacuum (pcv) line right near it you can just cut, insert t-fitting, then reconnect everything. Will have to clamp larger ID hose over little line to FPR so it can press fit over T. Sorry, hard to explain, check this photo, a little close to see where it is overall but I think you can get the idea.

IMG_4653.jpg

had to lol at light bar represent in old photo.

Or you can ditch that FPR and get some fuel line fittings and some braided line and use a early C5 fuel-filter which has a built in FPR. I did that on my Silvy when I swapped to LSX-R intake and rails. Lightly considering doing that on the Sierra too, but my current set-up hasn't give me reason to go through the trouble.

Last edited:
yeah both of my trucks are return style.
There is a vacuum (pcv) line right near it you can just cut, insert t-fitting, then reconnect everything. Will have to clamp larger ID hose over little line to FPR so it can press fit over T. Sorry, hard to explain, check this photo, a little close to see where it is overall but I think you can get the idea.

IMG_4653.jpg

had to lol at light bar represent in old photo.

Or you can ditch that FPR and get some fuel line fittings and some braided line and use a early C5 fuel-filter which has a built in FPR. I did that on my Silvy when I swapped to LSX-R intake and rails. Lightly considering doing that on the Sierra too, but my current set-up hasn't give me reason to go through the trouble.

That PCV you have. My 5.3L had that, it has a metal inner hose with foamish cover on it right, and fits into the rear end of the drivers side valve cover? On my LQ4 it only has a nipple on the valve cover, and a hose goes to intake mani, and that valve cover nipple.

I can cut that hose, add a T- fitting, and run my FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) to that line? If so, that will be easy.

That PCV you have. My 5.3L had that, it has a metal inner hose with foamish cover on it right, and fits into the rear end of the drivers side valve cover? On my LQ4 it only has a nipple on the valve cover, and a hose goes to intake mani, and that valve cover nipple.

I can cut that hose, add a T- fitting, and run my FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) to that line? If so, that will be easy.

yeah pretty easy once you get the T and have a little bit of scrap hose that is correct size ID. I think I pirated mine from the Evap - you can see GM written on it for that OEM+ status, lol
No I don't recall any metal inside any of the hoses though...

yeah pretty easy once you get the T and have a little bit of scrap hose that is correct size ID. I think I pirated mine from the Evap - you can see GM written on it for that OEM+ status, lol
No I don't recall any metal inside any of the hoses though...

My 5.3L had metal inside the hose to led to the back of the valve cover. I will do some hose routing monday when truck is in for a fuel pump! thanks

My 5.3L had metal inside the hose to led to the back of the valve cover. I will do some hose routing monday when truck is in for a fuel pump! thanks

Cool, no prob. And yeah, when you go ahead and do that you may as well add in a catch-can to that line with some extended hose.