04 RCSB Silverado Slow Build

Gotta stop looking at aftermarket grills and hoods and lights and all the stuff that pops up on ebay when you type in Cool Silverado. Save your coin and keep it simple! Invest in the suspension and engine/drivetrain IMO.
I've bought a lot of stupid visual cosmetic shit over the years for vehicles and usually all it does is teach you to appreciate OEM even more when you just go back to it.

Oh, and gotta remember dezert1500's old spiral rcsb! I think that's on like owner 3 by now...

Couldn't have said it better myself :shake:

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thats always been a thought in the back of my mind about everything, oem is clean. Hense why im debating or not I want a roll pan haha, It would be a bolt on, for an 04 my paint is unreal and don't really wanna have to blend the pan into the bed etc. Drivetrain I had a diablosport intune I was gonna use just to change my tire size so my speedo isn't off (had it from my colorado) but due to my remote start it kept passlocking the truck diablo said remove remote start and install tune then re install remote start but I just don't wanna bother with the hassle. Ive got a cai (I know does nothing except sound) and a cat back system (that I'd like to change) I don't drive the truck hard she just rolled over 112k miles today, don't wanna beat on her at her age yenno? Ive always wanted a roll pan for my truck just never got around to getting one, now that I have a truck worth spending money on I want to haha.

The only way you can pull off a roll pan on nbs is molded in, on a really low static/bagged rcsb or bodied ecsb/ccsb imo.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Shoot, I was still giving my old truck hell at 162k miles when I traded it in. These LS motors are tough as hell, give her all she's got

Just scared to beat on her. My old colorado (2.9 4cyl) didnt even get beat on and it started goin thru oil as much as gas. Around 89k miles dont want that to happen again haha. Also isnt the tranny a little weak

@plugdumps first off, really nice truck. I am new here too so my opinion may not be as seasoned as most of the members here but I'm looking to add an 04 Silverado to my 01 denali so I have been going over ideas and will share a few. I will admit I really like the the "murdered out" look BUT if the truck is already black. Your truck has a really really nice color to it so I wouldn't change it if it were me. Cleared headlights? Yes I agree. I also agree with the roll pan. I don't agree with the idea of dropping more for two reasons. If your winters get a little rough you won't get much use out of it as a DD in the winter as it will start acting like a low riding car in the winter. Second reason is certain trucks just look "cleaner" with a LOWERED STANCE as compared to a DROPPED STANCE. This is one of those trucks. I understand why some people here say stop focusing on the cosmetics but I disagree. Cosmetic changes is a representation of who you are and your ride speaks loud and clear. I'm not saying OEM is bad just its all about preference. I like the idea of a cowl hood just don't over exaggerate on the height of the cowl. It would take away from the lines and style of the rest of the front. Billet grille would look awesome but keep the middle bar. Gives that version of the Silverado more character. 20s look great and so would 22s so this decision is all yours lol. I agree with color matching parts but don't go crazy. I agree with the guys who said some chrome would look good. It goes well with your color. Another option would be a middle ground between your color with chrome and "murdered out".....take the chrome on your truck and paint it with Shadow Chrome. I will include a link to it below just copy and paste it and it should work. Anyway, that's my opinions and good luck. Can't wait to see which way you go on the truck and how great it will come out!

Dupli-Color SHD1000 Shadow Chrome Black-out Coating Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E2AC0E/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_HmdLub0ZK5XMF

Oh, one more thing. A CAI is useful BUT it has to be done right. 1) Slapping on a CAI that is not designed for your truck is a waste. 2) after installing the specific one for your truck look into the exhaust mod. The two mods will create a better, free-er breathing engine but ONLY after getting a proper tune. Jegs has some plug and play "chips" specifically designed for certain trucks with certain mods. They do work as I have personally seen the improvements. As long as your not expecting muscle car gains with hybrid gas mileage you will like the increases in power and mpg. Good luck again.

Btw, you can't compare beating a 4cyl to a lt or ls motor. Ever!
I could refute this up and down all day. Just because it's a 4 cyl doesn't mean the build quality is shit.
Oh, one more thing. A CAI is useful BUT it has to be done right. 1) Slapping on a CAI that is not designed for your truck is a waste. 2) after installing the specific one for your truck look into the exhaust mod. The two mods will create a better, free-er breathing engine but ONLY after getting a proper tune. Jegs has some plug and play "chips" specifically designed for certain trucks with certain mods. They do work as I have personally seen the improvements. As long as your not expecting muscle car gains with hybrid gas mileage you will like the increases in power and mpg. Good luck again.
On a stock truck, a CAI isn't needed, it's just there for the little bit of added noise and aesthetic value. That being said, BlackBear dyno tested multiple CAIs to see which one resulted in the most gains. The best results came from the AirRaid Modular Intake tube and a drop in K&N filter in the stock box. The best part about that is that is the cheapest of them all. That's my setup and I'm happy with it.

Also, DO NOT waste money on a canned tune. If you have ever compared the maps on a canned tune to a custom tune, you'll see the difference immediately. Will you see gains? Maybe. But your tables will look like complete dogshit. Not to mention most canned tuners run about the same or MORE than a custom tune.

Do it once and do it right. Unless of course you enjoy throwing money away, in which case I'll take some. :crazy:

And on the topic of lowered vehicles in winter, I have DD'd my 4/6 2wd Sierra for 2 years. It isn't the greatest, but I've never been stuck. I do agree that you shouldn't slam it to the ground then try to drive through feet of snow :rofl:

Edit: and not to seem like I'm picking your comments apart, I just wanted to offer another opinion based on what you said. I agree with your styling opinions and how they should be his own, not dictated by any of us.

But please no murdered out at all :crazy:

Last edited:
@khaos no worries, I won't take it personal that you rebuttaled damn near everything I stated, lol.

It's cool, opinions are just that and I respect yours as well.

For the record, you basically backed what I was saying about lowering too much and the effects it would have on winter driving.

As for the CAI, I did mention that 1) it has to be specific to the vehicle and 2) go along with an exhaust mod and a tune for all three to have an effect. So I agree, having a CAI ALONE won't do much. (Although there are some reports to prove otherwise, I'm more inclined to stack a few mods before expecting gains).

I also agree with @Khaos about the tune. Canned tune is frowned upon by many enthusiasts but to clarify canned tuning is more easily accessible when custom tuning is not available. That's why I mentioned buying from jegs as they have chips specific to a make/model and mods. Even to the type of gas. Either way, if you can get a custom tune, then go that route because Khaos is correct in that it will be a whole lot better than canned tuning