Yukon died abruptly. Not cranking.

bigmike636

Dec 4, 2016
My wife has a 2005 GMC Yukon XL, which she loves to death. It has the 5.3 liter engine with roughly 246 K miles. Yesterday, while driving home, the truck died abruptly but she was able to coax it into a parking lot. I tried to go retrieve it, but the starter doesn’t appear to be cranking ? She has a newish battery and I even tried jump starting it, but no luck. Any ideas ? Could a bad ECM explain all the symptoms ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigmike636

Dec 4, 2016
It would appear that this issue is related to the battery cable problem with this vintage of vehicle. Power windows work, no crank at the starter. I know in the past I’ve seen write ups on this issue, but I don’t recall what causes this. Does anyone else remember ? Is it just inferior cables used ? Does the “big three” cable upgrade eliminate this ?

dszx13

May 28, 2014
minden, la
Check the starter for loose connections on the solenoid and ground on the cyl head. Check the small wire (some plug in, some have a 8mm nut) on the solenoid for power while cranking. If that’s all good pull the starter and jump it so see if the works. Super easy to do.

Reactions: bigmike636

bigmike636

Dec 4, 2016
Thanks for the info, but apparently it’s blowing a main fuse to the ECM... Mechanic is trying to figure out if it’s the ECM itself or something else that’s causing the fuse to blow.

bigmike636

Dec 4, 2016
FYI: it was due to a bad fuel pump. The pump was the cause of the ECM fuse blowing. Slapped in a new AC Delco fuel pump and she was back on the road !