2Wheelin'

Dec 9, 2014
With some random local last night
E237638E-BA00-43CF-BD60-A400FA6DCBA7_zpsbsyzu0j8.jpg

a-fuso

GMC Owner
Mar 28, 2012
CA
That's what they spit out at me at first, but never got any sort of light saying it was low. Hopefully it's just a bunk oil level sensor and its just normal consumption.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Hope so. But I think it's ridiculous that GM or any manufacture claims that much oil consumption is normal :nono:

If you guys have never worked on these smog motors before, you have to realize that the engine is burning that oil, but not because it's getting past the rings, but because of the pcv system. Essentially the Gov't says you can't have an escaping vapor so your valve cover breather is connected to the intake manifold. So when you reach higher rpm's with the engine the vacuum from the intake is actually sucking oil vapor out of the crank case and into the intake, burning it. Only way to remove the massive oil consumption from this is installing a catch can. I cannot comment on afm oil useage however.

Got this ole girl for the day

:cheeky:

Old girl still looks great, might need some tires soon though, maybe some 35s for a little cencal? :cheeky:

DeanH1290

Jan 20, 2014
Georgetown KY
If you guys have never worked on these smog motors before, you have to realize that the engine is burning that oil, but not because it's getting past the rings, but because of the pcv system. Essentially the Gov't says you can't have an escaping vapor so your valve cover breather is connected to the intake manifold. So when you reach higher rpm's with the engine the vacuum from the intake is actually sucking oil vapor out of the crank case and into the intake, burning it. Only way to remove the massive oil consumption from this is installing a catch can. I cannot comment on afm oil useage however.

Old girl still looks great, might need some tires soon though, maybe some 35s for a little cencal? :cheeky:
Thanks for the input on that, I'm still learning alot when it comes to engines. I know the basics, but thats about it. I'm going to update my build thread with all the details once I get the truck back. I'm fairly confident a catch can is the next thing that will go on the truck.

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
Thanks for the input on that, I'm still learning alot when it comes to engines. I know the basics, but thats about it. I'm going to update my build thread with all the details once I get the truck back. I'm fairly confident a catch can is the next thing that will go on the truck.

Next thing you do should be a tune to delete afm/cyl deactivation