Why is this happening?

Chris.G.Jr.

Apr 29, 2012
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Alright so I have never had this type of issue with my truck since today, but heres the story.

I went out to start the truck to go get my sister and go eat lunch and i go out and it starts up normally no problems.
I sit in the driveway for a few minutes plugging in my zune, choosing what i wanna listen to, and changing settings on my radio (i set the bass and subs low when i get out so other people dont blow them). Anyway after that i put it in reverse and back out of the driveway. I drive all the way to my sisters work no problems, when i get there i pull up and park, leaving the truck running sitting there with my lights all on, wipers are on a low setting (it was raining) and i had my music playing, subs in all.

Heres where it gets weird, as im sitting there the music is playing and then all of a sudden i hear my radar detector do its startup tone (like it was just being turned on) and the rpms dropped then came back up. So the truck rpms dropped and the truck died then came back on. At first i was like wtf thats weird and my battery volt gauge showed rught below 14 when my music was playing. My sister comes out and we start to leave and i get down the road and it drops the rpm and dies then comes back, as does my radar detector. At this point im thinking something is up with the battery or something, so i decide to turn around and go to the parking lot and park it and go in my sisters car.
So as i get to the entrance of the parking lot i put my turn signal on to turn across traffic and into the lot, well as i turn the truck dies and doesnt come back on, so i let it coast across traffic and stop and restart it, Fires right up. so i went and parked where my sisters car was (after she moved) and i left it running and popped the hood. Didn't see anything disconnected and both the positive and negative cables were connected and the side post bolts were in as far as they could go. The positive cables still moved a little even tho the bolt is in as far as it will go. (theres not much play in it but i can move them so i know they r loose but not extremely. its not normal.)

so i shut it down and get in the car with my sis and we go eat, we come back i get in the truck and of course, it fires right up. Voltage gauge reads one line over 14 so i start my way back home, as im driving im keeping my eye on the voltage gauge every now and then. Everything is fine and dandy going home (didnt have my subs bumping hard like i did before). I get home and am sitting in the driveway and i decide lets turn the subs up and see if the truck acts up again. Well the voltage gauge reads one line over 14 then slowly goes down to 14 as the subs are playing. Now mentioning i have a Capacitor for my subs and when i was sitting in the driveway it would read from 13.5 to 14 subs playing. At one point when the subs hit it dropped to 13.1 but that was the lowest. The whole time sitting there the truck didnt act up or anything.

My question is is what would cause the truck to die in mid drive and then come back on? I am thinking something with the battery since the radar detector would shut off then the truck dies then they come back on. I checked the connections on the alternator and battery and all is good.

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

the truck has always been able to handle my subs so im pretty sure im not over powering anything.

also i wouldnt think its the battery bc ive had it for about 1 to 1.5 yrs

should i put some sort of spacer between the positive cables so they are attached tightly with no play in them?

heres my thoughts.

it could be a broken cell in the battery, wouldnt be the first time.

check all your ground and connections for your stereo.

check for any corosion or bare wires, that the moisture from being wet out could contact and cause an issue.

and lastly,

since this is the one and only time this has happened i would call it a muligan and wait until it happens again.

heres my thoughts.

it could be a broken cell in the battery, wouldnt be the first time.

check all your ground and connections for your stereo.

check for any corosion or bare wires, that the moisture from being wet out could contact and cause an issue.

and lastly,

since this is the one and only time this has happened i would call it a muligan and wait until it happens again.

ill start checkin wires and everything and see what i find hopefully the rain doesnt start up again

Im thinking its a broken/dead cell in the battery like Ginger said. My old wheelin truck used to eat batteries just like that, kept destroying the cells from bouncing it around so much.