Scooter26

Nov 4, 2014
DSC_0163_zpsv6l2bjof.jpg

06EDIT2_zpsemahnnba.jpg

So i picked up a truck a little under a year ago and a few months ago i got around to getting the lift rims and tires on. I bought the lift rims and tires new from a local dealer. after i installed the lift and drove it i noticed that the truck hopped very badly around 50MPH. I was hoping the alignment would help it as the alignment was very bad after i installed the lift. got it aligned and it didn't help. the place that aligned it said that everything in the front end was tight. the truck has 90k so i expected it to be that way. so i took the tires back to the place i bought them to have them re-balanced. they added a little under and ounce to 2 of the wheels. other 2 were ok. put them back on and it still was hopping just as bad. so i decided i would check the run out on the rims themselves. so i stuck a mag base to the frame and put an indicator in the inside of the rim. as i turned the wheel the dial moved as much as .050. i read somewhere that GM spec is .030. i guess im wondering if people have ever dealt with this same issue or not. any input would help.

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
Alignment will never cause a shake or vibration, only pulls. Sounds like a bent wheel or worn shock possibly. Try moving the wheel to a different position on the truck and see if the vibration follows.

racer36

nbs lyfe
Aug 17, 2014
homer, mi
i had the same thing happen when i first got my truck. make sure all the steering components are tight. almost died because stealership must have only hand tightened the pitman arm.

tightened that and still had a bit of vibration at ~45. replaced shocks and never had another problem.

Scooter26

Nov 4, 2014
i will go threw and check if everything is tight. the shocks are brand new but they are just the crappy rough country ones that came with the lift.

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Yeah go through and check the shocks and check the driveshaft angle as well. Maybe someone else can chime in on what the spec is but if it's at the wrong angle it can cause a heck of a vibration, especially being that high

Scooter26

Nov 4, 2014
Yeah go through and check the shocks and check the driveshaft angle as well. Maybe someone else can chime in on what the spec is but if it's at the wrong angle it can cause a heck of a vibration, especially being that high

the cheapo lift blocks that came with are angled slightly. I also have a two piece drive shaft and had to buy a bracket that lowers the carrier bearing some. also might try replacing the drive shaft bearing and seeing if that helps aswell