ugh radiator leak OBS

Chris.G.Jr.

Apr 29, 2012
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
ok so i have noticed the smell of antifreeze every now and then when i walk by the front of my truck after its just shut off, didnt really notice leaks or anything, but now i went to my sisters friends house with a driveway at a down decline and got out and it started dripping antifreeze on the ground, i couldnt really crawl under there and look bc the black protective shield is bolted on and i didnt have tools, anyway i popped the hood and it looks to be coming from the top (what appears to be) an opening, im not entirely sure if its just bc i was on a declined driveway or what.

and yes i smelled the liquid to confirm its antifreeze.
i fired it up and squeezed the upper radiator hose and nothing spewed out so i figured its not the hose, and i couldnt see any leaks, but theres antifreeze on the fan shroud and some dripping down the radiator.

are there supposed to be covers or something on the two openings?

my temp gauge isnt reading any differently then normal and all the other gauges are working fine and reading normal.
i know this couldnt possibly be a cause but i took all the weight (tools, etc) out of the bed of my truck as well as my sub box inside, but that cant be why itd leak obviously.

im just hoping i dont have to replace the radiator bc i realllllly need my truck friday for something.

any ideas or advice???/

notice the antifreeze on wheel well and some on fan shroud as well as power steering resevior
IMG_3111.jpg

antifreeze on shroud
IMG_3112.jpg

opening on radiator+antifreeze on shroud (believe its leaking from the bottom of this opening)
IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3115.jpg

bottom opening+antifreeze on shroud
IMG_3114.jpg

get new rad, mine looked like it was leaking from there but the front(hidden side) of the left tank cracked. Its leaking so i would replace it anyway

Well things to age... seals do wear out/decay. Its an old truck. Shits going to go bad.

Buy a new radiator or have new tanks installed then motor on. I replied to your thread on the other forum.

Sent from my teepee

Last edited:
well there wasnt any on there ever since ive had it.......problem?

No, its not a problem. Probably an after market radiator that has both sides made for the coolers. If they build them all like that it cuts down on production due to mass production and the cost of tooling.

Sent from my teepee

check with pressure leak down test, i just watched mine in my OBS until i could got a chance to swap my radiator. Turned starting my truck into 5 min routine, open hood, check coolant in tank and rad, oil, powersteering fluid, start check trans, be on my way after that

It doesn't look like it's leaking too bad yet. Should be able to get around still. I've got around on worse. No real need for a pressure test. You know its leaking and know its coming from the radiator.

If you do want to do a pressure test it won't hurt anything.

Just rent the kit from a parts store. Make sure the truck is cool. Remove radiator cap, use appropriate adapter, then pump it up to about 12-15 psi. Then check for leaks. Keep in mind it appears to be a small leak so it may/may not leak when cool.

Sent from my teepee

well damn i dont wanna have to do that everytime i have to go somewhere.

really not bad to do it was 5 min tops I would just start with coolant jug, then rad, oil, power steering, start, check trans, had it down to about 1m30s with starting the truck. All you would have to do is once a day just check coolant. Mine was leaking pretty bad towards the end, I think i used just over a gallon of water to drive 130miles to get my spare rad.

Last edited:
the reason why I said do the test because it may not be from the rad, look at the spots in the pic, could be a small hole on the hose.

well mines not leaking too bad i didnt get a chance to check the fluid lvl ill end up checking it in the morning before i leave

when i felt the hose there wasnt any fluid on it, also when i squeezed it while running and not running there wasnt any that spewed out of an open pinhole, and there wasnt any fluid on the hose when i felt up underneath it tho but i can check again in the morning to be sure

Last edited:
the pressure test should help you out to pinpointing it. I had a small leak when it cooled off. was a loose hose, but i didnt find it until i pressure checked it.