Blackout

Dat Rust Bucket
Dec 18, 2015
West Michigan
My 03 5.3 uses about a quart of oil per thousand miles. And trans is weak. Would it be more economical to 6.0/4l80e swap it or rebuild the 5.3?

Edit: Keep in mind I'm planning on tradong it for a 6.4 superduty or an lmm next year

Sent from my leather heated ass

99blaze

Aug 5, 2014
Exactly or take in early put swap/rebuild money into down payment

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Tylers88

3 GM's and a Jeep
Apr 16, 2012
Clarion, IA
My 03 5.3 uses about a quart of oil per thousand miles. And trans is weak. Would it be more economical to 6.0/4l80e swap it or rebuild the 5.3?

Edit: Keep in mind I'm planning on tradong it for a 6.4 superduty or an lmm next year

Why a 6.4, don't downgrade if you want a super duty but can't afford a 6.7 (if that is your reasoning) just toss in a junkyard 5.3 and rebuild the trans an save for another year.

Blackout

Dat Rust Bucket
Dec 18, 2015
West Michigan
Actually buying a 2013 6.7 later this year lol. Former manager offered me his at trade in when the 2017 comes out. EcLb f350 srw lariat 4x4.

Dirtmafia

Hella
Jan 24, 2011
California
Actually buying a 2013 6.7 later this year lol. Former manager offered me his at trade in when the 2017 comes out. EcLb f350 srw lariat 4x4.

GL, If you're worried about re-ringing a cheap LS based engine or tossing in a (relatively speaking) cheap 6.0, I would heavily chew over the diesel idea.

OE style injectors for those things are like $350+/ EACH last time I checked. Do you need a diesel or just want on the bandwagon?

(If money is no object, then more power to you BTW)

Blackout

Dat Rust Bucket
Dec 18, 2015
West Michigan
GL, If you're worried about re-ringing a cheap LS based engine or tossing in a (relatively speaking) cheap 6.0, I would heavily chew over the diesel idea.

OE style injectors for those things are like $350+/ EACH last time I checked. Do you need a diesel or just want on the bandwagon?

(If money is no object, then more power to you BTW)
Well not necessarily NEED a diesel, but it would be nice to not have to borrow my cousins dmax to take my tractors to shows or pull the pontoon up north. Not really all THAT concerned about the cost aspect as I am the value aspect. After all, is it really worth putting 3-5k into a truck worth $7k on a good day?

wretched73

Apr 18, 2012
How do you know that bad rings are causing you to eat oil? These motors are notorious for eating oil. More likely its your PCV valve.

If it is your rings, run heavier oil and keep adding it. Doesnt make a lick of sense to pull motor if you are getting rid of it in a year.

0453V8TB

Jun 13, 2016

First of all I would trade it in as is if you can figure out the cost of rebuilding or swapping verses what they will give you on the trade fixed or like is. Second of all the 6.4 I believe is notorious for lots of problems itself. Keep doing some research and good luck on your endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk