madmann26

Sep 22, 2014
Lilburn, Georgia
So, for the past couple of weeks, I'd been listening to this squeal coming from under the hood. It would get louder and louder as the truck warmed up.

Well Saturday, I was coming back home and it threw the belt and overheated on me. I pulled over and the belt was over by the battery, still in one piece. I was able to get the belt back on with my tire tool (only after smacking myself in the head a couple of times when it slipped) and get it home, where it sat until yesterday when I took it to my mechanic.

I suspect it's the water pump. Prior to the belt throwing, I changed out the tensioner and idler pulley with new Delco units. (both were previously replaced earlier this year)

If it's the water pump, it's costing me about $600 but hey, wifey approved the expenditure. Sure, I could do it myself in a couple of hours but I'm stressed the fk out enough.

wretched73

Apr 18, 2012
A squeal that gets louder as the truck warms up also is suspect. You should be able to pinpoint exactly where the squeal is coming from and diagnose it from there. If the waterpump were squealing that would mean the shaft bearings are shot which means it would probably be leaking.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
you can run a bar of soap on the belt, if it stops squealing, typically it's the belt. But that wouldn't typically cause a belt to slip. That is usually from a bad tensionor or wobbly pulley

also, I know some vehicles will have a bad bearing without the pump leaking, it's just noisy. Start with the cheapest route.

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
normally the water pump will leak water when it starts to go bad.

Not always where you can see it. My truck was overheating but there was no sign of water escaping. After replacing the fan clutch, tstat and flushing the radiator, I came to the conclusion that it was the water pump all along. It just wasn't leaking where it was noticeable.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Cheeny23

Resident Wop
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Bakersfield
so it threw the belt then overheated? if so, that makes sense, but wouldnt conclude that the pump is bad

madmann26

Sep 22, 2014
Lilburn, Georgia
check the AC clutch, they have been know to go bad and make noise, my cousins truck had that issue.

Already ruled it out by taking the belt off.

I've read that when the bearing goes bad, it'll squeal like a castrated pig....which is what mine is doing.

I'm just not replacing the pump. It's got 161k on it so it's getting a complete overhaul, new pump, tstat, rad cap, hoses, etc etc.

Cheeny23

Resident Wop
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Bakersfield
check the AC clutch, they have been know to go bad and make noise, my cousins truck had that issue.

that's exactly what happened to mine. there are shims inside the clutch that go bad, and will cause the belt to shake all over the place as well as squeak. I replaced the tensioner thinking that was it but was the ac clutch. turn your truck on, get under the hood and look down at the lower tensioner and rev it up if you can, or have someone else rev it, and see if you can see the belt get rough

that's exactly what happened to mine. there are shims inside the clutch that go bad, and will cause the belt to shake all over the place as well as squeak. I replaced the tensioner thinking that was it but was the ac clutch. turn your truck on, get under the hood and look down at the lower tensioner and rev it up if you can, or have someone else rev it, and see if you can see the belt get rough
he said it no longer has the belt, so we can rule that out.

have you checked that your power steering fluid is at the right level?

Cheeny23

Resident Wop
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Bakersfield
well if it has 161k on the clock, replace all the cooling parts anyways since it needs it and see if that helps. then go from there

Big Tex

slowly but surely
Jun 25, 2012
Dallas, TX
Mine doesn't squeel all the time. It's more of a squeak squeak squeak. Lol. And it does it when it's colder than 50