Transmission service time

GingerCrew

Nov 16, 2012
Just west of DFW
I bought my truck with 40k miles, recommended service is every 30k, lets pretend the dealership serviced it before I bought it, now I'm at 70k miles, so time for a trans oil change.

Question: I called a trans shop and they said they wouldn't change the trans filter until 100k

What do y'all think about this

It really doesnt need to be done every 30k - thats more of a japanese FWD thing, and i highly doubt it was done before you got it. It probably would be a good time to change the fluid, but that filter doesnt really need to be swapped until 100k (some GM articles I read said that the filter should never be changed unless the trans has failed, but I did them all the time when i worked there). Take it to a dealership - most will not actually 'flush' your trans though, so you are just swapping out a filter and about 4qt of fluid.

It really doesnt need to be done every 30k - thats more of a japanese FWD thing, and i highly doubt it was done before you got it. It probably would be a good time to change the fluid, but that filter doesnt really need to be swapped until 100k (some GM articles I read said that the filter should never be changed unless the trans has failed, but I did them all the time when i worked there). Take it to a dealership - most will not actually 'flush' your trans though, so you are just swapping out a filter and about 4qt of fluid.

Yea I already bought the filter and 5 quarts of oil, dealerhip here wants 165 to do it, so I spent 60 and will do it my self

Doing a pan drop, and changing the 5 liters and filter isn't very productive. The Trans should be flushed with a machine. It will remove all the fluid in trans and TQ converter, which is 10.6 liter dry fill, and push through new fluid.

ATF is a very aggressive detergent based fluid and will clean the trans filter as it is flushed through, Generally we push an extra 2 liters(2 quarts) through all our cars to make sure its out and clean.

however you already have the stuff so either return it and get it flushed properly, or put it in. It be better then nothing

Doing a pan drop, and changing the 5 liters and filter isn't very productive. The Trans should be flushed with a machine. It will remove all the fluid in trans and TQ converter, which is 10.6 liter dry fill, and push through new fluid.

ATF is a very aggressive detergent based fluid and will clean the trans filter as it is flushed through, Generally we push an extra 2 liters(2 quarts) through all our cars to make sure its out and clean.

however you already have the stuff so either return it and get it flushed properly, or put it in. It be better then nothing

Right on, thanks

yup so the HOOT method does work on these trannies. Pretty simple to do.

ScottyBoy said:
Today, I flushed my transmission to replace ALL of the fluid, not just the 5 quarts that is in the pan. Here is the basic rundown:
You'll need 12 quarts of Transmission fluid
One Transmisson cooler line fitting with a hose barb. I found one at O'Reilly's for 5 bucks.

DSC02229.jpg

You'll also need some clear tubing to connect to the barb fitting and run down to a bucket. I found some 3/8 inch clear tubing at Lowe's for 25 cents a foot. I used 6 feet to go from the barb to my bucket.
First, you'll need to drain the fluid from the pan and change the filter and pan gasket. Instructions for that portion can be found HERE.
Next, after you get the pan and everything reinstalled fill it with 4 quarts of transmission fluid. I used Cstrol Dexron VI. You'll need either a transmission funnel or a hose that screws right onto the bottle (which is what I did).

DSC02227.jpg

DSC02226.jpg

Now once you get it filled with 4 quarts, now install your barb fitting to the radiotor. Undo the top transmission cooler line from the radiator and screw in the barb fitting in its place. Then connect your clear tubing to the hose barb and run it down to your bucket. Now this next step, its very helpful if you have a sceond person to help you. You need to start the engine and let it run for a few minutes. You'll see the fluid pump thru the clear tubing and down into your bucket.

DSC02222.jpg

DSC02224.jpg

Once you start seeing air bubbles in the fluid going thru the tubing shut the engine off immediately. Thats why its helpful to have a helper in the driver's seat.
Now fill the transmission with 4 more quarts and repeat the flush procedure till you see air again. Then do it a third time with your remaining 4 quarts of fluid. Start it one more time and you should now see pure clean fluid running thru the tube.

DSC02221.jpg

Shut off the engine and disconnect the barb fitting and reconnect your trans cooler line. Check your fluid level with the dipstick and add more if needed. You have now replaced ALL of your transmission fluid including all the fluid in the torque converter and the transmission cooler. Drive it for at least 5 to 10 miles to get it warmed up, then check the fluid level again. Add more if needed

:hmm: Might be doing this to mine soon.

Been debating doing this, changed the 4qts and filter at 100k, now coming up to 150k I am debating getting it flushed. I have read/heard mixed reviews on doing this, as it may cause more harm than good(leaks,dislodging debris,etc) Thoughts/

Seen this years ago on a tv show but have always been afraid of messing something up. My truck has 227000 miles and the wife's has 211000 miles. Both motors rebuilt but transmissions still shift properly. I may try this on my 4l80e.

Me neither seems like it would be sketchy plus the previous owner's history of using both trucks are unknown.