trans fluid

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
besides GM VI, what are other GOOD options? I need to top off my trans after the DS took a shit, I lost quite a bit getting the truck on the flatbed, and once again off the flatbed.

I didn't come up with anything with a quick search, but I know it has been discussed before. I plan to have the trans filter changed in 3k miles when it hits 90k so for now I am just topping it off and driving it.

It topping it off, I would just use some castrol Dexron 6.
If you are doing a complete fluid change, I would go with Amsoil ATF.

1 - do NOT use anything but dex 4 unless you flush the system completely (which is not recommended)
2 - no need to change the filter until 100k
3 - anything that is dex 4 will work fine, go find a cheap reputable brand and you're good - much of it comes from the same place. Don't worry about using anything synthetic IMO.
4 - if you're doing the swap in your driveway you're likely gonna need to remove the ORY, also, have fun trying not to spill.

I don't do anything in my driveway, as it's uphill, but I will be changing the fluid and filter in the garage, or up at a shop a friend is an SA at. I'll grab a huge supply of purple power.

Iv always used O'Reilly brand, in fact most of my friends do. all the same shit. Just make sure you use the appropriate dex standard