Trans cooler line

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
I'm sure this has been discussed before. I found some things on gmfgtsize but figured I'd ask here to get opinions.

My upper trans cooler line is leaking as per gm tradition at the crimp.
Here's my questions:
Do I replace the whole line?
If so how much of a pain in the dick is it?
If I replace one, should I do all 3?

Last edited:

bgray

Stylish Canadian
Mar 17, 2012
Onterrible, Canada
we always suggest to do all 3 to our customers

Usually not to bad to do, sometimes it makes it easier to take the valance off so you can slide then in and out

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ

Usually not to bad to do, sometimes it makes it easier to take the valance off so you can slide then in and out

Any real good pointers/easy things often over looked/things to be careful with?

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
I had one leaking on my truck a while back, the one that goes from the radiator to the transmission. Bought a new line from NAPA for around $27 and changed it myself. Wasn't too bad to do but I had to disconnect the exhaust at the y-pipe because I couldn't get my hand between it and the transit to access the line.

Shemick

Apr 10, 2014
I'm sure this has been discussed before. I found some things on gmfgtsize but figured I'd ask here to get opions.

My upper trans cooler line is leaking as per gm tradition at the crimp.
Here's my questions:
Do I replace the whole line?
If so how much of a pain in the dick is it?
If I replace one, should I do all 3?

I actually just did the exact repair on my escalade where the tranny line was leaking at the crimp and I do not recommend for replacing the line as it will leak again instead cut off the crimp collar gently without cutting into the hard line and replace with tranny line and good quality hose clamps but just make sure you use tranny hose anything else won't stand the heat and will blow off, if you need further help or pics let me know it's a very simple job as long as you have patients good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marc

WhiteSilvy
May 16, 2013
canada

Brandons shop is really good at them :shake: i didn't do them because they are a PITA....my brother didn't even want to do them

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
I actually just did the exact repair on my escalade where the tranny line was leaking at the crimp and I do not recommend for replacing the line as it will leak again instead cut off the crimp collar gently without cutting into the hard line and replace with tranny line and good quality hose clamps but just make sure you use tranny hose anything else won't stand the heat and will blow off, if you need further help or pics let me know it's a very simple job as long as you have patients good luck

How about hydraulic hose? Pictures would be a great help.
I figure worst I can do is screw it up and have to replace it anyway

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
I had one leaking on my truck a while back, the one that goes from the radiator to the transmission. Bought a new line from NAPA for around $27 and changed it myself. Wasn't too bad to do but I had to disconnect the exhaust at the y-pipe because I couldn't get my hand between it and the transit to access the line.

How much of a pain is to getting it disconnected from the trans?

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
Once the exhaustvwas out the way, easy. There is a c-clip that holds the Lin in the fitting, pull the clip and the line comes out. Just don't lose the clip lol.

Shemick

Apr 10, 2014
How about hydraulic hose? Pictures would be a great help.
I figure worst I can do is screw it up and have to replace it anyway

No I would recommend tranny hose it's like $3 a foot if you carefully take the collar off you'll be fine the lines have a double flare so the new line would sit nice and tight on it, I used a hack saw to cut a few straight line the slowly pried it of with a flat head while still on car...

Cleanoh4

Aug 27, 2013
NJ
So I was looking at the lines and trying to figure out what I was going to to. I think I'm just going to replace all 3. I figure only one third of them have failed over 148k miles and if I can get that return again I'll be happy.

What's the best way to remove the retaining clips on both the trans and radiator?