Train horns

Smith

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 28, 2011
Louisiana
I know some people like them and others don't. All hate aside I've always wanted a set for some reason. Have a few questions about a set ya'll might can help answer.

Found a set online, guy says they are airchimes. Anyway to tell from the picture? Also how much do you think they are worth?
ma9uty3e.jpg

2uresa9u.jpg

Can they be powdercoated or will the heat potentially mess them up?
Noob on these and will be asking more questions about hooking then up, etc if I get a set.

Those are bad ass! yes they can be powder coated. Looks like a set of Nathan k5 to me. I'd say at least 800

$800, shiiiii no way I'd pay that. So you'd give $250-300 for the set pictured? :secret:

Thanks for the input on powder. If I got them I'd want to powder them and the tank they works he hooked up to.

Ah gotcha. I've looked at the chrome ones awhile back but have been searching forums and Craigslist. Going to see if I can work a deal with this guy then start looking for a tank and compressor.

If it falls through remember I can get the Nathan K5's for like 300. And of course get them powdered for you. They're metal, can't mess that up with powder.

Only thing that sucks about the k5's is the size. Where the fuck do you mount those big fuckers. And you can seperate the horns or it messes up the tone IIRC

Do want trains, always have... will acquire one day.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

Same here lol

If it falls through remember I can get the Nathan K5's for like 300. And of course get them powdered for you. They're metal, can't mess that up with powder.

Only thing that sucks about the k5's is the size. Where the fuck do you mount those big fuckers. And you can seperate the horns or it messes up the tone IIRC

Aren't K5's the same ones I posted?...they are definitely big, I was thinking I could make them fit in the spare tire area.

Guy on Craigs won't budge off the $300. Does your hookup sell them on Craigs? Just wondering if it might be the same person. Thinking about picking them up tomorrow. Decide to leave my stance of my truck alone and do some other things I've always wanted to do.

Those fuckers look huge. Id make sure there is room for them under there being lowered before you drop the cash. And that picture looks familiar for some reason, maybe its a picture angelo has posted before from the guy he knows?

Those fuckers look huge. Id make sure there is room for them under there being lowered before you drop the cash. And that picture looks familiar for some reason, maybe its a picture angelo has posted before from the guy he knows?

Guess I'll look for some measurements on them and crawl around and measure/look under the truck tomorrow.

I dunno if he puts them on CL or not. Spare tire area may work. Lol they are just freakin heavy and huge.

I have his number that I can txt to you to see if its the same person. I've never picked up a set in person but I'm sure they are heavy by the way they look.

Okay, did some measuring all measurements are rough for now but pretty dang close.

From crossmember to crossmember it's 13 inches and length of horns are 16.25 but the mounting bracket for the horns is roughly 3 1/2 to 4 inches and there is a 4 inch drop down from spare tire mounting plate to bottom of cross member so it could still work or another plate will just have to be welded on to mount the horns.
3e3y7y6u.jpg

Next width of the horns are 29.75 inches. There are 37 inches from frame to frame so I'm good there.
4y5u9u9y.jpg

Last measurement is the height of the horns. Horns measure at 9.25 height. From the current spare tire mount to the bottomish of the bumper is roughly 11 inches. If they are able to mount where it sits now without having to move the mount I should be good and you not see the horns from behind the truck. However, if I have to move the mount down any more than 1.5-2 inches it might get into seeing the horns territory.
hu5u4yge.jpg

What do you guys think? Seems like it could work and the horn not be visible. What do ya'll think about it if an inch or two of the horns are showing? Just looking for opinions. Really leaning towards picking up a set of these though.

Last edited:
If you do em black then wont have to worry about them being seen. If you powder them a color then you will obviously see.
Make it happen captain. Them K5's are stupid loud

If you do em black then wont have to worry about them being seen. If you powder them a color then you will obviously see.
Make it happen captain. Them K5's are stupid loud

Will more than likely pick up a set. If your guy is legit and has a set I'd rather pay him than a random person off Craigslist, find out if he has any and ill go from there.

Ill mock them up once I get them and see how much of them you can see from the back then decide on a color to paint or powder them.

Damn do want a set, if it doesn't end up fitting you can always separate them and use a kit from real train horns to connect them. A buddy of mine has a k5 and a k3 on his 250 and you can hear them from over a mile and a half