Switchbacks..trouble

D1nman

Mar 27, 2012
West Monroe, LA
So i've always loved switchbacks because of the white and to me they just look way cleaner. I have my old ones in my new truck, so i have had them for a while now. 2 of the resistors and bulbs are about 2 years old, the other 2 bulbs are about a year old, and the other two resistors are new. I am using V-LEDs 6OHM 50w resistors, one on each bulb (so 4) and V-LED's 92 LED 5k 3157 switchbacks. Now on my old truck, i first did the flasher mod and they would flash right, but the white would struggle to come back on after the blinker. I tried 5 or 6 diffferent setups over the year and could never figure it out. They were working about 50/50.
Now on my new truck, i just popped the bulbs in and the white lit up fine every time. Now my next problem is the hyperflashing. I obviously expected it with no resistors, so i bought 2 new ones (the ones listed above) and wired them up using this diagram that is supposedly successful

Now i have done this, and even though the white never fails to come back and burn strong everytime... they hyperflash sometimes. My old truck never hyperflashed, resistors or not, flasher mod or not. I can be driving now in my new truck and have the blinker on and it will hyperflash for a bit, then stop, then hyperflash in no rhythm. Then, sometimes it will flash perfectly.

Any ideas? I also had a pretty hard wreck in April 2013 with them and they came out of the sockets and 3 of the leds are dead now. I called VLEDs about that though and they said that should not be a problem.

Any help would be appreciated... i have like $160 in these things and have yet to see them work properly in the two years ive had them

Switchbacks.. One of the best light mods, but never work correctly. Do want, but DNW.

See these threads all the time, and feel like the answer is never the same. :shrug:

Sent from my Galaxy S-Fawhore

Last edited:
Switchbacks.. One of the best light mods, but never work correctly. Do want, but DNW.

See these threads all the time, and feel like the answer is never the same. :shrug:

yea then i have fkin alex over here not 10 miles from me with his working perfect and no help :tableflip:

That sound like exactly what my moms car is doing, and from what I've read on that its the actual flasher module. I have no idea if it would be the same in the trucks as it is in a monte carlo though. Hers will flash normal sometimes, hyper flash sometimes, then sometimes it will flash real slow

I like switchbacks in GMC's, not so much in Chevy's. I will just run LED's.

Do yon need new relay and resistors to run LEDs all round? A threw a cheap pair I got from :boo5ted: and they don't hayer flash or anything but I also already did upgrade the flasher relay to a HD one from vat zone during my snow plow days

HD flasher will allow you to run LED signals no problem. LED's are just for hyperflash, don't need for brake/running lights.

Dan try Alex's flasher and see if the problem persists.

Mine work great. Vleds ftw

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Yes anything other than vleds and most of the times the results aren't good.

Another weird thing... They work perfect with the engine off

sorry resistors are to stop hyperflash and are only needed on signal lights. Do you have leds in your tailights?

Sent from my igloo using my SGS4 eh.

I used resistors as well and one of my switchbacks eff'ed up after a couple days. it doesn't flash orange, and lights up orange/white at the same time, looks brown. I need to pull it out tonight to get it sent back for a replacement.

yeah part of the damn thing melted haha! I got it out and tested it all over the truck last night and it didn't work right. When I got inside with it and actually looked at it, some of the contacts are brown and the plastic is all wavy and brown/bubbly.....whoopsies! Oh well, that's what warrenties are for!!

its bad for the bulb, fine for me. The truck looks all hoopty now. Its got a switch on the pass side and an always orange silverstar on the driver, w00t!!!