Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
So last week I placed an order with SCG and was asked if I could provide a review if I was provided a product. I gladly accepted and was able to use it this weekend on a 2016 Mustang I detailed. Wont go into details as to wat/how this thing is or works but its supposed to be a replacement for clay bars. After washing the car with their "Prep Wash" (Which I love), I went ahead and used a plastic bag to see how bad the paint was. I had detailed a 2013 Mustang right off the lot before and it was bad, this was no exception.

So I opened the box and this was inside,

clayzillar-surface-prep-system-339-419.png

The cleaning pad, foam applicator and a bottle of detail spray. Went to apply the pad to the foam applicator and ran into my first issue. The stiff velcro on the foam pad is exactly or a little wider than the pad itself, leaving stiff velcro loops exposed, facing the paint surface. This might not be a problem on flat panels, but on curves or tighter spots where you have to contour the foam, it might scratch the paint. Being as its a pretty wide pad, I could see myself trying to use the edges of the pad on curved panels and I did not feel comfortable using it as it arrived, especially on a customer's ride.

No big deal, got my knife n trimmed some of the velcro fat away
20160206_145040.jpg

20160206_145251.jpg

After all this, I took the detail spray bottle and tried to use that....that was a no go for me. The spray is such a fine mist that I hardly got any of it on the paint with a pump. Being that its a push button sprayer, I found myself having to pump a lot of time with my index finger and got tired real quick. I put that thing aside and grabbed my Polymer Detail Spray in a traditional bottle/sprayer configuration...back in business!

Finally took the product to the paint and I could feel it working, but the results were not all there. Some of the contaminants were still there after going over the section of the hood I was working on. To see if it was just me or the product, I got my Adams clay bar thats never let me down and that I consider to be a "Medium" clay and used it on a section above that...instantly removed all the bumps on the paint.

So all in all, Clayzilla has the potential to be a good addition to my collection but it needs some adjustments. The hook and loop needs to be adjusted a little, the detail spray bottle should come with a traditional sprayer and there should be different level clay pads available for it. The one included would be a perfect maintenance weight, not something to decontaminate for the first time.

The car turned out great using their prep wash and polymer sealer, just couldn't get it fully decontaminated with the clayzilla kit. Would've loved being able to use it throughout the entire detail as my hands were blue by the time I was done claying the car and since I dont like wearing gloves while I do this kind of work, holding onto the applicator wouldve been awesome.

Surf City Garage - Buy Clayzilla® Surface Prep System at the best price, performance, features, equipment | surfcitygarage Store

20160206_122931.jpg

20160206_122948.jpg

20160206_123107.jpg

2/23/16
UPDATE:

After talking to SCG, they sent me a more aggressive pad to try out. This pad was awesome. Right off the bat, I could feel the difference between the two. One felt extra thick and almost "sticky" and the original was just soft and not as sticky. I tried both pads on 2 different hoods and a roof....the more aggressive pad worked better than the first pad and I didnt notice any marring on the paint or any ill effects from the more aggressive pad.

When I first used the product, it didnt remove the contaminants on the Mustang's hood, so I had to use traditional clay. On these 3 different panels, the original pad did remove all the contaminants, but it took way more strokes than the more aggressive pad. I would do one stroke and feel the test panel with my hand inside a plastic bag and kept claying away until the panel was fully decontaminated, took 8 strokes with the original pad and only 4 with the new pad.

One thing I did notice, was that the new pad had a tendency to stick to the panel a lot easier if I didnt keep it lubed. Not a big deal, just keep spraying the area you're working. But this proved my first concern right. I was worried I might contact the velcro to the paint if I ever tilted the applicator and rubbed the panel with that exposed material. Since I trimmed the edges, that did not happen but it probably would have had I not trimmed it. SCG took my advice and is reducing the velcro area to ensure there is non exposed. The pad doesnt move at all with that little bit exposed and I honestly thing it would save them from getting angry emails explaining on they scratched their paint with their product.

All in all, the little pads work good. They provide a lot more surface coverage, its easy to hold on to and worked really well with the new pad. I still recommend a better sprayer to not have to use your finger for an entire claying session, but thats something I wouldnt worry about since I have full size sprayers already.

And no, I was not paid to do this and the freebie product is not enough to "buy" a good opinion from me, this is a totally unbiased, honest review. Some of you guys dont want to buy stuff online and rather get something over the counter, which I do with some products as well....this would be one that I would recommend.

Last edited:

Bassmaster

Media Mod
Mar 8, 2012
South Jersey
I have a 'clay alternative' thing like that, just different shape. It does remove some contaminants, but definitely not all. It's very fast and easy which I love, but for very light use only

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
Good read, very interesting. I've seen a couple of those "clay alternatives" and wondered how they worked. I don't clay my truck enough for that to work for me but might have some use in the future when I have a garage to keep cars in

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
UPDATE:

After talking to SCG, they sent me a more aggressive pad to try out. This pad was awesome. Right off the bat, I could feel the difference between the two. One felt extra thick and almost "sticky" and the original was just soft and not as sticky. I tried both pads on 2 different hoods and a roof....the more aggressive pad worked better than the first pad and I didnt notice any marring on the paint or any ill effects from the more aggressive pad.

When I first used the product, it didnt remove the contaminants on the Mustang's hood, so I had to use traditional clay. On these 3 different panels, the original pad did remove all the contaminants, but it took way more strokes than the more aggressive pad. I would do one stroke and feel the test panel with my hand inside a plastic bag and kept claying away until the panel was fully decontaminated, took 8 strokes with the original pad and only 4 with the new pad.

One thing I did notice, was that the new pad had a tendency to stick to the panel a lot easier if I didnt keep it lubed. Not a big deal, just keep spraying the area you're working. But this proved my first concern right. I was worried I might contact the velcro to the paint if I ever tilted the applicator and rubbed the panel with that exposed material. Since I trimmed the edges, that did not happen but it probably would have had I not trimmed it. SCG took my advice and is reducing the velcro area to ensure there is non exposed. The pad doesnt move at all with that little bit exposed and I honestly thing it would save them from getting angry emails explaining on they scratched their paint with their product.

All in all, the little pads work good. They provide a lot more surface coverage, its easy to hold on to and worked really well with the new pad. I still recommend a better sprayer to not have to use your finger for an entire claying session, but thats something I wouldnt worry about since I have full size sprayers already.

And no, I was not paid to do this and the freebie product is not enough to "buy" a good opinion from me, this is a totally unbiased, honest review. Some of you guys dont want to buy stuff online and rather get something over the counter, which I do with some products as well....this would be one that I would recommend.

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
I have a 'clay alternative' thing like that, just different shape. It does remove some contaminants, but definitely not all. It's very fast and easy which I love, but for very light use only

I remember you talking about that, I bought one also. It's just meh at best :rofl:

THE Mook

Oct 16, 2014
Colorado
Interesting read. Seems to me like a device to relabel and sell their Beyond Clay product with. Thanks for posting. Nice Stang.