DemoN

Mar 22, 2012
ok...talk to me about sealant to wax. i've always used liquid wax....currently i have a half bottle of adams and i've been fine with that. i hand wax and do not own a buffer (mainly cuz they're costly).

AlwaysSomethin

Apr 8, 2012
Get the harbor freight version of the PC. Cheap and handy. Ill Even hook you up with inside track coupon if it's on sale.

DylanVK

Jun 5, 2012
ok...talk to me about sealant to wax. i've always used liquid wax....currently i have a half bottle of adams and i've been fine with that. i hand wax and do not own a buffer (mainly cuz they're costly).

Sealant v. Wax - the basics:

The simple part of it comes down to what they're made of. A traditional wax is going to be mostly carnauba and may have some bees wax or other natural waxes in it, mixed with oils, silicones, polymers, etc. Waxes can run such a wide variety of composition that its really hard to put a blanket statement to all of them. For the mostpart you'll get decent enhancement, some filling/masking, and moderate durability out of a wax. Where they start to fall short is in the longevity department especially in situations with high heat... even a really good wax is going to start to evaporate around 160* and they're typically not that detergent resistant either so its generally recommended that you use wax on garage kept vehicles or ones that don't see harsh weather.

Sealants on the other hand are man made. They can be made of a number of synthetic polymers and engineered to do any number of things. A sealant (on average) is going to provide much better resistance to the elements and longer lasting results due to the higher heat resistance and ability to stand up to detergents.

It used to be that you'd choose a sealant purely for protection and not see much enhancement in gloss/shine. The 'deep wet' look was more wax territory - but more and more the gap has been closed. We developed Acrylic-Shield (as an example) to not only be a super durable sealant, but also to provide gloss enhancement more generally seen with wax based products. Its a really nice balance of the two parts of the equation.

NOW - depending on how wild you wanna get theres also the option of layering waxes over sealants and whatnot - but thats a whole other discussion.

Also, be sure to recognize one simple fact - won't matter 2 squirts what you choose to use if you don't first properly decon and correct the paint - so clay (or clay media) and polish (with a machine you cheap bastard) are on the 'must' list. 99% of the shine and finished look is in the prep work - I don't care what wax or sealant you choose it can only work on enhancing whats there and if whats there is a swirly, dull mess you won't see much improvement.

bgray

Stylish Canadian
Mar 17, 2012
Onterrible, Canada
Adams shampoo before secret dilution was good. Now its watery as fuck, already diluted beyond usable means because they adjusted formulas. Look it up on their own forums, its watery.

Can't comment on Adams new formula as all of mine is older I believe. I really like the Adams shampoo I have, however, when I finally get the extra coin to buy more detailing supplies I'm going to get some more SCG. It foams just as good and in some people's opinions better than Adams. Like I said, I was happy with my Adams but after using the SCG it's definitely no slouch!
1d87b82b295b12a72471483189a02ae5.jpg

Did not know that. I'll add the SCG to the list of next order lol.

ScottyBoy

The LED Man
Apr 6, 2012
I can't say for sure whether my Adams shampoo is watered down. But it doesn't seem to be watered down. When did they supposedly start watering it down?? All of my Adams shampoo is about a year old, one bottle is possibly older than that.

Smith

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 28, 2011
Louisiana
I can't say for sure whether my Adams shampoo is watered down. But it doesn't seem to be watered down. When did they supposedly start watering it down?? All of my Adams shampoo is about a year old, one bottle is possibly older than that.

All of mine is older than a year as well. I used Chemical guys and some others when randomly washing my girlfriends or letting friends borrow stuff do my 3 bottles of Adams have went far. Two even have the old style caps.

my Adams was nice. But damn I love the smell and foam of my SCG, and I dont even like green apple lol

Same here, I can't say anything negative about the Adams shampoo I have but I can say I enjoy the SCG better.

ScottyBoy

The LED Man
Apr 6, 2012
Haha, I have 3 bottles as well and two have the old style flip cap. Been using all three bottles too, because when my wife ashes her car she ALWAYS grabs a different bottle, not paying attention that she is opening a new bottle.
Shit like that is why I kinda hate when she washes her car herself. But at least she tries :lol:
One time she called me like 40 times at work asking me shit like "what's this VRT stuff used for ?" and "can I use this "leather and interior cleaner to clean my interior?"
"This APC stuff is what we use to clean the wheels with right? Or is it for the windows?
What the hell is this bottle that says Stripper Scent???" :rofltank:

j.mo

Apr 24, 2012
Nor Cal

SamCarroll

Faux Runner
Staff member
Jan 25, 2011
Northern California
I also have Wolfgang fuzion :)

Sorry, I enjoy to wax my vehicles.
I layer it over WGDGPS 3.0.
Carnauba gives a radiance that sealants do not, even though Wolfgang is pretty darn decent, nothing like a good ol carnauba. :science:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wax is a dying supply. You need to switch sealants if you're not getting the freshly waxed glow.