Speaker whine

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
I have an aftermarket Alpine h/u hooked up to my OEM Bose system with a PAC interface and for the past month or so i have been getting some WICKED whine through my speakers. I have re-wired the power/grounds to every audio harness, made sure the speaker harness wires werent loose or crossing too many times, and relocated my ground to an external location where I have a few other grounds bolted. This was a minor issue when I first installed the stereo, but the Big-3 wiring solved the problem, now its fairly loud. Ive done pretty much everything I know to fix this and I cant stand it much longer.

Any more tips? Im about to try replacing the PAC interface, but would rather not spend money on anything if I can just fix it by re-wiring something. Let me know what yall think, thanks!

i had this problem for a while in my truck i have a bose system with aftermarket deck and the speaker in the ceiling had a whine ... but mine just kind of fixed its self,but i know that RCA's can fix a lot of problems and a lot of people buy a cheap install kit and then have to replace the RCA's within a year

I had that same whine when I had my stock deck and a PAC Aux input adapter. Only had the engine whine when using the input, so I know the noise was from that. No noise with either one of my Alpine stereos since I swapped out the stock radio.
I would suspect the PAC adapter, but I feel you on not wanting to buy a new one if you are not 100% sure if that's the problem.
Do you know anyone else you can swap harnesses with for a day or so?
If it were me, I would just hardwire it and run new speaker wires from the Alpine to the speakers therefore not needing the Bose harness.

Burn truck to ground. Problem solved

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

im going to have to do the big 3 on mine first, but i know the whine you have, i have the same thing constantly with mine, its its bose and shit like yours.

Me too, I can't stand it sometimes.

i had this problem for a while in my truck i have a bose system with aftermarket deck and the speaker in the ceiling had a whine ... but mine just kind of fixed its self,but i know that RCA's can fix a lot of problems and a lot of people buy a cheap install kit and then have to replace the RCA's within a year

I have played with the RCA's so many times trying to fix this since it started, I have made damn sure they arent touching, wrapped them in tape, made sure they are getting good physical connection - no joy. I might try replacing just the RCAs for a start, its cheaper than replacing the deck or PAC module.

I had that same whine when I had my stock deck and a PAC Aux input adapter. Only had the engine whine when using the input, so I know the noise was from that. No noise with either one of my Alpine stereos since I swapped out the stock radio.
I would suspect the PAC adapter, but I feel you on not wanting to buy a new one if you are not 100% sure if that's the problem.
Do you know anyone else you can swap harnesses with for a day or so?
If it were me, I would just hardwire it and run new speaker wires from the Alpine to the speakers therefore not needing the Bose harness.

Cheeny and I were talking last night and I am going to swap out decks with my other truck just to see if maybe it is being caused by the outputs from my Alpine h/u - if it is im finally biting the bullet and getting a DD (wouldnt mind this actually...kinda been looking for an excuse). I do suspect the PAC as well, seemed like a shit quality piece from the beginning, but I didnt know of any other options at the time...everything was expensive and looked like the same ol' bullshit. I dont have anyone to swap harnesses with, and would rather not hardwire the speaker wires until I need aftermarket speakers, these bose speakers make everything difficult when it comes to hardwiring and amplifying OEM equipment.

Just remembered something...

The whine somewhat coincided with the head swap! Iin the process of removing the spark plug wires one of the boots was damaged. We had a bitch of a time getting some of the wires back on and actually ended up using some spare wires Jared had laying around (my old wires had been taken on/off so many times at this point...), after a few weeks I formed a misfire for some time until i realized a wire was loose and shoved the loose wire back on there as well as i could. This could easily be the problem, electronic injectors are known to cause speaker whine when they are not getting the correct voltage or are about to fail; its not something I ever saw in GMs - but when I worked for Nissan I ran into this problem once or twice. Im going to swap around some spare wires this weekend and see if that helps at all - will update.