Skreaching sound from behind Steering Wheel

Mike

Banned from GMFS
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
So I've noticed a little bit of a slight grind/skreach sound coming from just behind the steering wheel. It only happens when I turn right. I'm puzzled as to what it could be.

its inside the cab. Its like literally behind the steering wheel. Every nut and bolt in the steering is tight and accounted for. I know the older trucks had ABS clock springs for the air bag, but I know these newer trucks use a sensor instead. I'm fucking lost on this shit.

I figured it was in the cab by the explanation, but I wanted to rule the obvious out. That is interesting...I will see what I can dig up.

I know when I did this lift, the steering wheel got all kinds of turned around and I had to go back and try and find true center, but I don't know if when I had the steering linkage disconnected looking for true center, I might have fucked something up.

Honestly I'm not sure Jared. I guess it could be bearing noise, but I don't know why after 21K my truck would have that failed.

Gotta remember Jared, that was for most NBS trucks that use a gear box and not a rack and pinion like my truck. I may swing it by sometime this week and have them look at it.

if there wasnt grinding I would say to spray some white lithium grease on the colum boot where it comes thru the firewall, the grinding has me fairly stumped tho

Seemed to have it fixed, or I just don't hear it now. Lubed up the shaft coming through the firewall and greased the CV Joint in the intermediate shaft before it hits the shaft coming downwards for my lift kit. Also there is a heim joint to help keep the shaft centered and straight with a custom mount from FTS(included with the kit), that I lubed up and now I don't hear anything.

So maybe my shaft just needed lubed...................

happens on my 00' when turning sharp sharp left sometimes. like a grinding/rubbing sound. we eventually realized the steering shaft that comes out of the firewall was slightly bent, thus making it rub on the manifold. we never did anything with it, kinda just let it be..and i guess it wore out its own little spot because i havnt heard it in a few weeks :shrug:

Seemed to have it fixed, or I just don't hear it now. Lubed up the shaft coming through the firewall and greased the CV Joint in the intermediate shaft before it hits the shaft coming downwards for my lift kit. Also there is a heim joint to help keep the shaft centered and straight with a custom mount from FTS(included with the kit), that I lubed up and now I don't hear anything.

So maybe my shaft just needed lubed...................

Glad that fixed it, never overlook the stupid shit, seems like alot of the time thats the problem