Single cab sub suggestion??

PapaFerg

Jun 22, 2014
03 silverado. Currently have 2 JL 12s. With a JL amp.
Been thinking of building a box for 4 subs total.

I can't decide with 4 12s or 2 12s and 2 10s.
The 12s would be ran together and 10s together on 2 amps.
If 4 12s then I'd run two amps to two subs.
But trying to figure out what we be better. Not the biggest audio tech guy. I would like to have the range to hit the 10s bass and 12s tone also. But not sure, if I want the range with 2 10s and 2 12s or just the total beat of 4 12s.

Any help is appreciated

Jl W7 8". Hits harder then most other average 10 and 12's. Much higher quality. custom made in the console.
DSCF5645.jpg

DSCF5652.jpg

d0bc7f33b8bdc6c1bfc57823827a0d85.jpg

Did you have to modify that box to work with the T56 Brandon?

And I have my ooooold MTX shallow mount 12 from my S10 in my reg cab off a no name amp. Hits okay for what it is, but definitely needs an upgrade. Subbing for more info!

That's nice! I didn't want to spend too much, on a budget. Was going to make my own box. So I didn't know what would be best.

Did you have to modify that box to work with the T56 Brandon?

And I have my ooooold MTX shallow mount 12 from my S10 in my reg cab off a no name amp. Hits okay for what it is, but definitely needs an upgrade. Subbing for more info!

Yah unfortunately I had to cut the front of it off. The box is WAY undersized for a w7, however if setup right its very clean
That's nice! I didn't want to spend too much, on a budget. Was going to make my own box. So I didn't know what would be best.

We made the box, cut the console, just the sub that was very expensive.

there really is a misconception with sub sizes and their "range". An 8 has the ability to play just as low as a 12 or a 15. Now read that it has the ability, that doesn't mean it will do it as easily or efficiently. You've got to look at the specs of the subs you are deciding with, their thiele-small parameters, specifically the Fs (free air resonant frequency). It's a lot of technical data to understand at first, but taking those into consideration in combination with your box design (extremely important), as well as the quality of the amp and wire supplying it. Everything plays a role in how the subs will respond to frequency ranges in both terms of power and sound quality. If you have a smaller sub with a slightly higher Fs value that you'd like, you can compensate by tuning the box to a specific resonant frequency.

read up on this page about the thiele-small parameters: Click Here

JL is great, but in my opinion they are overpriced, especially when you look at comparable products out on the market. and like he said, they are expensive, very expensive. the setup i like to recommend for rcsb is 4 10's. you don't need to worry as much about air space and can still incorporate amps into the box. And I don't like mixing sub sizes, it just isn't necessary. With that being said, I don't know your price range but my recommendations right off the bat are:
Fi X10
Team PSI Platform 1 10
B2 Audio IS10
DC Level 2 10
Sundown SA10
Skar VVX 10

All of those are in the same ballpark pricewise and are all quality manufacturers. look on places like ssastore and droppinhertzcaraudio, most anything sold on those places is some of the better stuff on the market. Then, you need a good amp to power those. Don't underpower them, if anything, buy an amp(s) that will push more power than they are rated but tune the amp down to save levels. Then you want good quality OFC power/ground cable to those amps, you could get away with 1 run of 1/0 and a dual 1/0 distribution block but I'd personally do two runs of 1/0 from the battery back. You'll want to pick up a better battery too if you are serious about it, especially if you already have accessories that draw more power. I run XS Power, so there's my preference. 1 or 2 D3400's under the hood is a perfect setup and either upgrade your alternator, put an overdrive pulley on your stock, or hope your non-modified stock alt can keep up. And do the big 3 upgrade if you haven't already.

there really is a misconception with sub sizes and their "range". An 8 has the ability to play just as low as a 12 or a 15. Now read that it has the ability, that doesn't mean it will do it as easily or efficiently. You've got to look at the specs of the subs you are deciding with, their thiele-small parameters, specifically the Fs (free air resonant frequency). It's a lot of technical data to understand at first, but taking those into consideration in combination with your box design (extremely important), as well as the quality of the amp and wire supplying it. Everything plays a role in how the subs will respond to frequency ranges in both terms of power and sound quality. If you have a smaller sub with a slightly higher Fs value that you'd like, you can compensate by tuning the box to a specific resonant frequency.

JL is great, but in my opinion they are overpriced, especially when you look at comparable products out on the market. and like he said, they are expensive, very expensive. the setup i like to recommend for rcsb is 4 10's. you don't need to worry as much about air space and can still incorporate amps into the box. And I don't like mixing sub sizes, it just isn't necessary. With that being said, I don't know your price range but my recommendations right off the bat are:
Fi X10
Team PSI Platform 1 10
B2 Audio IS10
DC Level 2 10
Sundown SA10
Skar VVX 10

All of those are in the same ballpark pricewise and are all quality manufacturers. look on places like ssastore and droppinhertzcaraudio, most anything sold on those places is some of the better stuff on the market. Then, you need a good amp to power those. Don't underpower them, if anything, buy an amp(s) that will push more power than they are rated but tune the amp down to save levels. Then you want good quality OFC power/ground cable to those amps, you could get away with 1 run of 1/0 and a dual 1/0 distribution block but I'd personally do two runs of 1/0 from the battery back. You'll want to pick up a better battery too if you are serious about it, especially if you already have accessories that draw more power. I run XS Power, so there's my preference. 1 or 2 D3400's under the hood is a perfect setup and either upgrade your alternator, put an overdrive pulley on your stock, or hope your non-modified stock alt can keep up. And do the big 3 upgrade if you haven't already.

You said what I was gonna say plus some and I didn't have to do shit :mynga:

Sent from Tapashit

Fi X10
Team PSI Platform 1 10
B2 Audio IS10
DC Level 2 10
Sundown SA10
Skar VVX 10

Thank you I'll definitely check em out. I'm either gonna do 4 12s or sell them and get 4 10s and make that box. I know you said 4 10s is what you prefer, but how much of a difference will the 10s be than the 12s?

Sound wise. Not price wise.
Also right now I have a 500w JL amp powering my 2 jl 12w0s. Would a 600w amp be okay with 2 sundownaudio sa12? Or will I need more power?

Sound wise. Not price wise.
Also right now I have a 500w JL amp powering my 2 jl 12w0s. Would a 600w amp be okay with 2 sundownaudio sa12? Or will I need more power?

Thank you I'll definitely check em out. I'm either gonna do 4 12s or sell them and get 4 10s and make that box. I know you said 4 10s is what you prefer, but how much of a difference will the 10s be than the 12s?
The difference would be pretty substantial if the box were able to be to spec but if you are low on airspace, that's only going to hurt the 12s and the 10s would end up performing better.

And no that amp could only barely power one of the sa12s. The sa12 is 600w rms, so you're looking more towards a 1500w amp to push two of them well.

Sent from pasta.

That's what I thought when I saw it. That's one reason I like my JL 12w0 because they don't need much to power them and they work very well to me. I have an extra 500 or 600w amp I can't remember which. But that's why I'm wanting to just do 2 more 12w0. But I've looked and seen a lot of positives on the sa12s

audio is my thing bruhh
Cheeny this goes out to you then. Looking to do single 8 or 10 down the road but I need something that will fit behind jump seat. Audio is not my thing so my mind gets numb looking at all the enclosures. Need a small 8 or 10 preferably box+sub combo something that I can just wire up to an amp and be done

Cheeny this goes out to you then. Looking to do single 8 or 10 down the road but I need something that will fit behind jump seat. Audio is not my thing so my mind gets numb looking at all the enclosures. Need a small 8 or 10 preferably box+sub combo something that I can just wire up to an amp and be done

pm'd