Shock mount conversion - Eyelet to Stem adaptor

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
I am having a hard time finding decent shocks for my 07 2wd. It has 3" spindles, and 1.5" coil spacers up front - so pretty much just stock with a spacer. I would like to run bilstein 5100s or Fox 2.0s but neither have a t-bar to stem design that will fit my needs. Have you guys had any luck with adapters or is it a bad idea? I am looking at summit and see several different options -> http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/shock-mount-conversion-kits

Here are the ones that seem would work:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/exp-690001/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/afc-20146/overview/

Why do neither of them seem to not include bushings, or even the extra room to put bushings on if you desire?

On this one i could atleast add a longer bolt to accommodate the bushings.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-ss200sd/overview/

What do you guys think? Who has done something like this before?

AlwaysSomethin

Apr 8, 2012
Brandon doesn't have torsion bars :shrug: posting a pic of current shock design, to what you're trying to adapt to will clear it up a lot. I don't see an issue with adapters as long as they're quality, don't cause some weird angle/binding, or throw off your travel.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Brandon doesn't have torsion bars :shrug: posting a pic of current shock design, to what you're trying to adapt to will clear it up a lot. I don't see an issue with adapters as long as they're quality, don't cause some weird angle/binding, or throw off your travel.

I am having a hard time finding decent shocks for my 07 2wd. It has 3" spindles, and 1.5" coil spacers up front - so pretty much just stock with a spacer. I would like to run bilstein 5100s or Fox 2.0s but neither have a t-bar to stem design that will fit my needs. Have you guys had any luck with adapters or is it a bad idea? I am looking at summit and see several different options -> http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/shock-mount-conversion-kits

Here are the ones that seem would work:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/exp-690001/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/afc-20146/overview/

Why do neither of them seem to not include bushings, or even the extra room to put bushings on if you desire?

On this one i could atleast add a longer bolt to accommodate the bushings.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hal-ss200sd/overview/

What do you guys think? Who has done something like this before?

check his second link! Just posting up info...some of the same info is posted on those forums.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
from the link I posted...
62874d1342107250-ditched-torsion-bars-coilovers-hd-july-12-032-1-jpg

AlwaysSomethin

Apr 8, 2012
Coilovers on torsion front end? I guess I'm misunderstanding, don't see how it'd help Brandon with a coil spring front end and OE shock mounts being different.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
jesus, because that adapters are the same for what he was wanting. See the top mount of the coilover?

Are you not fully understanding what he wants to do? The oem suspension allows limited style shocks...so he wants to get a good shock, not worry about sacrificing, and run an adapter do that he doesn't have to keep the oem style shock.

Which is why I posted what I did. The pt.net link goes into details about that truck owner abusing his truck offroad with that style adapter that Brandon was inquiring about...many claim that our trucks are not equipped to ride on just a coilover, that they uppers etc are not strong enough!

I hope that better clears up why I posted what I did.

Coilovers on torsion front end? I guess I'm misunderstanding, don't see how it'd help Brandon with a coil spring front end and OE shock mounts being different.

oh, because he won't be running an OE shock style. Which is where the adapter comes into play

AlwaysSomethin

Apr 8, 2012
I was thinking he was trying to adapt the bottom since we know the that is a weak link, no need to be grumpy, that's how you run off new ppl :troll: sorry for making discussion and trying to make sure everything was fully understood. Now go take a nap truckless grump.

Brandon, would you post a pic of the shock style you're wanting to adapt to? Do they produce the shocks you want in an OE style, just too short/long?

AlwaysSomethin

Apr 8, 2012
I could see the eyelet to stem being fine as long as it doesn't have an angle or cause something to interfere with the spring, I'd almost want a collar on the adapter to center it in the original shock mount. Part of me says set the adapter up rigid, and the eyelet bushing should be enough, but I can't support or discredit that.

Sorry for being a late night/ early morning idiot and no comprende :okay:

I feel like I want to do something different on the lower, even if its just drilling out and using a high strength bolt/nut/tbar

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
oh, because he won't be running an OE shock style. Which is where the adapter comes into play

Bingo - will still run coil setup with a an OEM radius shock, just want to run a better shock - and I am limited at this point when looking for a t-bar to stem design shock for (essentially) a 1.5" lift.

I was thinking he was trying to adapt the bottom since we know the that is a weak link, no need to be grumpy, that's how you run off new ppl :troll: sorry for making discussion and trying to make sure everything was fully understood. Now go take a nap truckless grump.

Brandon, would you post a pic of the shock style you're wanting to adapt to? Do they produce the shocks you want in an OE style, just too short/long?

Here is the style I am trying to get to:
24191203_1.21.jpg

images.ashx

street_star.jpg

I could see the eyelet to stem being fine as long as it doesn't have an angle or cause something to interfere with the spring, I'd almost want a collar on the adapter to center it in the original shock mount. Part of me says set the adapter up rigid, and the eyelet bushing should be enough, but I can't support or discredit that.

Sorry for being a late night/ early morning idiot and no comprende :okay:

I feel like I want to do something different on the lower, even if its just drilling out and using a high strength bolt/nut/tbar

Hopefully a collar wouldnt be needed...and i doubt it would interfere with the spring since it goes straight down, although there is that possibility because now the shock will rotate a bit with the movement of the control arms instead of being stem mounted - then again the shock does move a bit already in the suspension. I dunno...

AlwaysSomethin

Apr 8, 2012
The only reason interference with the spring came to mine was the one on that torsion bar truck looked angled, which wouldn't apply. Were you considering modding the bottom any? The reason I mentioned a collar up top was the bushings of stem mounted shocks have them to center, and if mounted rigid it'd let you center it and pull it up tight. My buddys coil spacers for his dodge came with screw on stem extensions lol

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
The only reason interference with the spring came to mine was the one on that torsion bar truck looked angled, which wouldn't apply. Were you considering modding the bottom any? The reason I mentioned a collar up top was the bushings of stem mounted shocks have them to center, and if mounted rigid it'd let you center it and pull it up tight. My buddys coil spacers for his dodge came with screw on stem extensions lol

Not planning on modding the bottom any, there wont be any extra weight on it since I will still be coil sprung.

Im not sure what you are referring to when you say 'rigid mounted'.

mr714

Jan 6, 2014
Hey Brandon so what did u end up doing for the shocks I have the same problem. I'm thinking of running some Rancho 9000XL but they only make oem fit without lift so I'm thinking of getting some shock stud extenders. And I got the same set up 3" spindles and 2" lift coils. So please let me know what u ended up doing so I could get and idea?

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
I havent done anything yet but im still planning on it in the next month or two. I will update for ya when I start buying parts and installing.