Service Engine Soon light not working

PapaFerg

Jun 22, 2014
My primary question is there anyway i can tell if a mechanic messed with the service engine light bulb, or relay on the circuit board causing it to permanently turn off?
The reason i am asking is below:

Just bought a truck, in which the dealer said he just replaced an o2 sensor, so he said sometimes it causes another to go out. (not sure if thats true or if he knew the o2 sensor wasn't working) but that is beside the fact. He signed that they would repair the check engine light if it came on. On the way home from the dealer it came on. Got the codes ran and it was the o2 sensor. Took it back the next day and they "fixed" the problem. The check engine light wasn't on, BUT the check engine light was not on at all, as in when the key was turned to accessory mode it still did not show up. i noticed this when i got in the truck and also the steering wheel was at the lowest point as you would need to take out the instrument cluster, so i scanned codes again from 3 different locations and the o2 sensor code was still on. I took dash off to see if i could tell if they messed with the lights but i couldn't tell. I took it back and told them the problem, and then he said he called the mechanic and said it needed a cat and it would fix it. Then got it scanned again before taking it to get a cat installed and printed the codes out, one of which was the o2 sensor, and the other was a code involving the gauge cluster. Then i took it back to them and handed them the papers, and they told me to take it to the other mechanic because he does most of their expensive and high end work. So we took it their, and i am currently waiting on the call to whether it is fixed and what the problem was.

Again the main concern is that the check engine light will work again, and it will one way or another. but i just wanted to know if i could find out for certain they they messed with it and turned the service engine light off and tried to sneak it past as they fixed the problem.

bgray

Stylish Canadian
Mar 17, 2012
Onterrible, Canada
On gm's you can access the ecm with the scanner and manually turn on the CEL light. All this needs to be done with a high quality scan tool.

If command it on, and it wont light, i would be suspect to repairs.

Oktain

Canuck Admin
Staff member
Feb 9, 2012
Sudbury, ON
What year of truck is this?

I know my 05 S-series truck had twist lock bulb sockets, and you could remove the bulb for the CEL. Not sure if the 99-02 full size trucks were the same, or if they're soldered like the 03-06 were.

Maybe they threw a bad bulb in.

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
Technically, u can have the code stored in the ECU and not have a CEL on. How about u clear the code, then unplug a coil or something....see if the light comes on :shrug: