Fred 4/6

Apr 24, 2013
I want to sand my hood down and basically wanted to know what grit to use and if I should go a certain angle Hell idk and help you can guy's/gal's could give would be helpful

notorious

Automotive Art
Apr 22, 2012
If you didn't use filler on it yet, sand the surrounding area with 320 or 400. Put your filler on, let dry, etc. Sand that down (preferably block it). If you're repainting the whole hood, you can sand with 600 or 800.

After the filler is sanded smooth, get a few good coats of primer on it. Block sand that down too. Make sure you feather edge it real good, wet sand if necessary.

You can hand sand/block sand the whole thing but it will take a lot longer than if you DA it. Make sure you steer clear of the edges so you don't burn through. Lightly hand sand edges with 800 or 1000, or even gray 3M scotch brite.

Are you painting the hood yourself or having someone else do it?

Fred 4/6

Apr 24, 2013
Filler is bondow right? What do you mean about block? And when I sand the paint it bare metal right? I'm letting a shop paint it, I just want to fix the parts I cut.

Fred 4/6

Apr 24, 2013
Well I just did a quick little search online and it doesn't seem to bad. They did everything you said to do in the video so it helped out more because I'm a visual person. Do you think a beginner like myself can do that little part on the hood?

notorious

Automotive Art
Apr 22, 2012
Bondo is a brand of filler, like Kleenex is a brand of tissues. Block sanding is using a handheld block, sometimes hard, sometimes soft like foam, to ensure you don't dig in while sanding, and even out the high spots with the low spots.

Explains block sanding. Since your filler is going on the front edge of the hood, some of this doesn't apply.

Why not have the shop do all of the work on the hood?

Last edited by a moderator:

notorious

Automotive Art
Apr 22, 2012
Well I just did a quick little search online and it doesn't seem to bad. They did everything you said to do in the video so it helped out more because I'm a visual person. Do you think a beginner like myself can do that little part on the hood?

Absolutely you can, just hard to explain. I just mentioned having the shop do all of it because it's got to go in for paint anyway, so it wouldn't be that much more for them to do the prep on it, too.

Fred 4/6

Apr 24, 2013
Honestly being on this site makes me want to start doing some things on my own plus to cut and paint they want way to much I'm a poor college student.

Fred 4/6

Apr 24, 2013
Man I thought long and hard about it, looked at pictures and looked at trucks where I'm at and I came to the cowl hood. I think it'll look sick and where I'm at nobody has one on a dropped truck.