madmann26

Sep 22, 2014
Lilburn, Georgia
Guys/gals,

On Friday I was rear-ended. The damage to my truck is minor in every since, considering I drove it to work this morning and home from the accident.

For those of you that have had similar accidents, what are the chances that the insurance company is going to fix this? Will they total the truck?

Pictures are attached.

It's a 2006 Sierra, Xcab, 2wd 5.3 FF engine (that's not what's in there but the vin lookup will say that) located in Georgia.

Thanks in advance,

IMAG0056.jpgIMAG0057.jpgIMAG0059.jpgIMAG0060.jpg

Graystone

Apr 25, 2014
Well you have some frame damage and the value of the truck is not going to be high. It is going to be hard to say.

marc

WhiteSilvy
May 16, 2013
canada
the frame damage is whats going to kill it since it will need to be fixed by a certified frame repair shop.

here in BC Canada that truck would be written off.

if it is written off maybe you can get away with buying it back and fixing it and getting a rebuilt title on it.

it all depends what the the truck is worth too you.

J_Corr

Mar 27, 2012
Well I deal with this stuff on a daily basis here in Canada and I am sure there will be a few minor changes but this is how I would deal with it.

Ontario's Auto polices operate on a hybrid No Fault system.

To determine if a write off they will use the following calculation

Repair costs = Actual Cash Value + taxes - Salvage. If repair costs are $0.01 above it's a total loss.

Salvage will be determined on a silent auction basis. Highest bid gets vehicle. If you keep the salvage, they will deduct this amount from the cash settlement.

Now a days due to liability and people being cheap ass fucks, depending on the Brand placed on the vehicle. Most will not allow you to buy it back. IF they do, the following will occur:
1. They will have to transfer the vehicle to their name.
2. Have an inspection done to restore the vehicle to preloss condition.
3. Provide you the report.
4. You sign a waiver waiving all liability.
5. You pay all costs to switch ownership, register it back into your name, pay appropriate taxes.
6. Repair vehicle at reputable shop. They sign a waiver noting all repairs completed as per report.
7. Provide report to insurer, they decide if vehicle is allow back on road.

Most people bitch non stop about this process but it has happened that insurer's will skip steps, insured's repair the vehicle half assed, get into an accident, kill someone and next thing you know, everyone is in court and the insurer is hung out to dry.

Any other questions, ask.

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
I don't know if it's different here or what but when my dad wrecked his 98 trans am a few years back, he was able to buy it back for cheap and keep the motor and other parts. Then sold the car as a roller to somebody who wanted to do a drag car.

My little brother also just got into an accident a few months ago and they let him buy his blazer back and he just replaced the grille, hood and lights himself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

J_Corr

Mar 27, 2012
Like I said, each insurer has their own regs. Brand will also have a big factor. Frame damage will more than likely be salvage and that becomes a grey area.

J_Corr

Mar 27, 2012
Just trying to help him out is all.

When I had my diesel stolen even IF they found it, I would not want it back. No matter how much they try and fix it, it will never be the same, unless they buy a new frame and swap everything but I assure you, that will def make it be a total loss.

:imo: start putting a package offer to your insurer proving the vehicles value. Also don't shot yourself in the foot by giving invoices for big power adders, lifts etc. In the fine print it is considered a misrepresentation and they can deny your claim. I have done it before. I tend to go easier on the tastefully modified vehicles ;)

madmann26

Sep 22, 2014
Lilburn, Georgia
Thanks for the insight guys.

I'm REALLY hoping the frame isn't damaged. When I took a look under the truck, the only thing I saw that wasn't square was the bumper support brackets/related items. Of course, that's not to say the frame isn't bent somewhere.

I'm not really emotionally tied to the truck. There is a new engine in it with less than 5k on it. I did lower it. I dunno....

I've been looking around at other trucks. IF I have to get something else, I'd get another Sierra in the same year span but with 4 full doors.

madmann26

Sep 22, 2014
Lilburn, Georgia
So an initial "e-estimate" (estimate based on the pictures I provided) came back at around $3200.00 to fix. This is not factoring in if there is any frame damage. I have an actual inspection scheduled for 12/15/15 @ 9:30a.