Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
The 01's A/C has been out for awhile now, and between that and not running any tint it makes it day cruises kind of a beating. There is no doubt that the compressor is the issue, when the pulleys are turning I can hear that its guts came apart at some point. The work is easy, but there is a pretty wide array of compressor/clutch brands to choose from that I am having trouble with. The Delphi (OEM) comp seems to run $3-400, where as others (re-manufactured) run $2-300, I know I will need an accumulator, a new orifice, and oil - but cost on that stuff is pretty standard across every brand/store. Right now I really miss working at a GM dealership...those cheap ACD parts...:bawl:

So for you guys who have replaced your compressors with a re-manufactured one - which brand/store did you buy from, what was the cost, and how long is the warranty? I would rather not go junkyard diving. Engine is a 4.3 btw. Thanks all.

ScottyBoy

The LED Man
Apr 6, 2012
I bought a genuine AC Delco compressor from Rockauto for right at $300 bucks before shipping. With all the other parts like the drier and stuff it was about $400 shipped.

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
I bought a genuine AC Delco compressor from Rockauto for right at $300 bucks before shipping. With all the other parts like the drier and stuff it was about $400 shipped.

I want a comp with a good warranty that I dont have to ship back somewhere to get replaced if the situation ever arises. Napa takes warranties on compressors on the spot with no questions asked.

I need to take into account that I will have spend money on flush solvent and time to flush each component, then pay a shop to vacuum, leak test, and charge the system - and trying to keep this all under $500. All this when im trying to swing some tires for the new 22s too...boo.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
Delco, or something like NAPA's top brand.

Make sure you get everything for the system, or they won't warranty it. When I sold ones from O'reilly's they seemed to be pretty good. I'd go all new too, but that's just me.

Adjusted

Super Moderator
Feb 8, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
dealer did mine with compressor and everything for 600

...no shit...hell, when I used to work at the dealer I would charge 4hr labor minumum for a grenaded compressor - that was only for really gravy A/C setups too - so that was atleast $420 to the customer right there. Tough to believe you got out the door labor + parts that cheap? These trucks ARE really easy (esp with the V6) so I guess Ill call around and get quotes, imma have to pay someone to do the vaccuming/leakdown/charging anyways like I said before.

Delco, or something like NAPA's top brand.

Make sure you get everything for the system, or they won't warranty it. When I sold ones from O'reilly's they seemed to be pretty good. I'd go all new too, but that's just me.

Definitely buying everything, I def know not to skip any steps after a compressor has torn itself up. Found a new one from Napa Gold today for $215, not too bad with a 2yr warranty; I like Napas stuff for engine parts, and Oreileys for anything else. Also, the same model one in a reman one was only $10 cheaper lol, FTS.

Colyn.

Acrophobic
Mar 17, 2012
Alma, GA
Mine went out last week and I'm about to bite the bullet and buy a new one next week when I get paid I guess..... sub'd for info.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2

ShredSled

NBS
May 9, 2012
Motor City
Damn my compressor on my Sierra CONSTANTLY squeals like a pig. Pretty sure it's not the idler or belt. I tried spraying the back of the pulley on the compressor and the squeal went away for about 5sec. then came back... any ideas, think I'll need a replacement compressor? All AC still works fine. I just simply don't know shit about HVAC systems, but I'm sick of people looking at my truck like somethings not right...

I do have the leftover OE compressor that I removed from my Silverado. What all would it take to r&r with that?
Can they go bad if they sit for like a year in a box?
Seems the more I read about swapping just this compressor the more stuff everybody says I should replace, like evaporator and orifice. Now I see there are two size orifices available for my year; 13mm and 17mm. How would I know which to order?

DirtyRed

Nov 30, 2013
Damn my compressor on my Sierra CONSTANTLY squeals like a pig. Pretty sure it's not the idler or belt. I tried spraying the back of the pulley on the compressor and the squeal went away for about 5sec. then came back... any ideas, think I'll need a replacement compressor? All AC still works fine. I just simply don't know shit about HVAC systems, but I'm sick of people looking at my truck like somethings not right...

I do have the leftover OE compressor that I removed from my Silverado. What all would it take to r&r with that?
Can they go bad if they sit for like a year in a box?
Seems the more I read about swapping just this compressor the more stuff everybody says I should replace, like evaporator and orifice. Now I see there are two size orifices available for my year; 13mm and 17mm. How would I know which to order?

Could be just the clutch on the compressor is bad, Check that before u evacuate the system and yank the compressor. If you do decide to swap compressors then just pull ur orfice tube and match it up. Gl