bagged00

Mar 21, 2012
Not when you can do it your self. You'll notice the x member has like a cap on it. Cut it off and I want to say raise it to the bolt holes. There should be how to on it if ya search google

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
he may not have the skill or desire, so if that is the case, YES that is a route to take. I sold mine, but I had one made by Cody at Unparalleled Custom. It was around the same price, and he sent the tabs with it that need to be welded in.

If you are rubbing, it is well worth it! Yes, you can DIY it, but I would rather just grab one that was ready to go and then have a shop weld the tabs up for me.

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
I run a raised xmember. Regardless if u mod ur stock one or buy an aftermarket from AVS, Cody or KP....u gotta do some welding. Aftermarket manufacturers usually include tabs u gotta weld in place of some metal u have to cut off.

99-06%20crossmember.jpg

My KP came with the tabs, but I had some made for another member here a while back and its really simple....u can make them urself with lil effort.

Fred 4/6

Apr 24, 2013
Thanks for your input guys, just trying to see what I want to do. I gotta do something in the next couple of months I hit it a Lil too much.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
well now you know what must be done, decide if you want to buy or mod what you have. hell even email the companies and see if they are running any specials, you never know!

bagged00

Mar 21, 2012
Definitely cut it your self. Worst case scenario you can't weld it. Cut it where it's ready to be cut and get any shop to weld it real quick. I wouldn't waste money on something that's done so easily. Imo

Liamrk

Oct 11, 2015
Don't mean to thread Jack here but does anyone have info on this for a 4wd truck? Is it the same or not

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
you cant weld up the tabs on the frame because thats where the torsion bars go thru. unless youre running coil overs up front, u need the holes thats are normally covered up with the weld in tabs.

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
It can be done. I asked about it before and somebody posted a picture. Can't do it quite the same as 2wd but the sides under the bars can be cut off and flat steel welded just below the bars so the crossmember doesn't hang down. It's hard to explain. I'll try to find a picture.

Edit*

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fred 4/6

Apr 24, 2013
Don't mean to thread Jack here but does anyone have info on this for a 4wd truck? Is it the same or not

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Dude how can you do such a thing!? You're on my shit list now!

J_Corr

Mar 27, 2012
By any change is there a sticky somewhere of how to do this yourself?

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
By any change is there a sticky somewhere of how to do this yourself?

Pm Eddie. It's really simple to do but I don't remember the exact steps. I know you take it out, grind the weld that hold it together, cut off a certain amount and weld it back together but I don't remember how much to cut.

Tukn4s

Jan 24, 2011
Imo. I need to do mine soon. Planning on picking up some 2wd control arms and doing coilovers with income tax.

I know it has nothing to do with thread but this will not work. the Lower arm on torsion bar trucks have wider mounting points on the frame than coil spring trucks. and 2wd torsion bar and 4wd torsion bar trucks are the same arm.
So don't waste your time and money on buying coil spring arms or 2wd torsion bar arms.