Quick response please

SSierra08

Jan 4, 2011
Do you cut a spring from top or bottom and how do you tell whats top and bottom?

galaxy s3

galaxy s3

bagged00

Mar 21, 2012
apparently it doesn't matter where you cut from? ive always cut with the top. you can tell the top from the bottom cause the bottom kind of flattens out and the top stays round through out the whole spring. like Brandon said, the lower kind of twist into a notch into the LCA compared to the top just kind of sits in that rubber boot which is why I always cut from the top. so it ddidnt mess with the way the spring sat in the LCA pocket. use a cut off wheel to keep heat low and not fuck up the spring rate.

SSierra08

Jan 4, 2011
I cut them from the top and they worked fine. I cut a 1/2 coil and got 1". I'd like to cut them for 3" but afraid that would really effect ride quality. They are an extra set of springs so not to worried about trashing them.

galaxy s3

bagged00

Mar 21, 2012
I had a buddy that cut his 4" and a 6" flip kit. said it rode fine. not something id do though.

nickyreno

Oct 7, 2013
Lake Tahoe, NV
Buddy of mine cut his springs on both of his STi's, shittiest ride I've ever experienced. Fucked his spring rate on all 4 corners, that's why I said you don't cut springs.

Jose.

Loves tacos
Mar 11, 2012
Runaway Bay (N.TX)
My first lowered truck had springs cut for 4" drop until I could afford spindles. Not bad at all beside camber. I also cut from the top

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
Buddy of mine cut his springs on both of his STi's, shittiest ride I've ever experienced. Fucked his spring rate on all 4 corners, that's why I said you don't cut springs.

He probably put too much heat on them when cutting which will fuck them up..cut with a cutting wheel and keep heat low like ryan was saying and you cant even a difference in ride

bagged00

Mar 21, 2012

your comparing apples to oranges. an sti is set up with a macpherson strut suspension set up, where a truck has short arm long arm suspension set up. then you got possible linear vs progressive springs which im sure the sti has a linear spring. but still, there are a bunch of variables when cutting springs. my audi has a strut up front and a spring in between a control arm and the body in the back. the rear is progressive so I wouldn't cut it since the shorter it gets the stiffer it gets. its just cut springs have been proven to work with trucks.