Question on upgrading to 34" radiator/electric fans.

Da_Rebel

Just another guy
Mar 8, 2012
Sanger, TX
Hey guys I have some questions for you.

I'm looking at doing the electric fans upgrade on my 2004 CC. I already have a TruCool 40k cooler installed, so the transmission fluid is not going through the radiator. I know you can get a 34" radiator from a 2500, but is it the best option for cooling? My reasoning is that all the space where the transmission fluid would run through is just wasted, so would it be better to buy an aftermarket radiator with no (coils, I guess?) for the transmission fluid? I'm in Texas, so I'm trying to keep everything as cool as possible. In my mind, I figure that the more the radiator can spread out the water, the more efficient and quicker it would cool.

I appreciate your input, thanks in advance.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
I think the 40k will be fine for your application. E fans will free up some hp, but not much. Likely, 10 hp. Awaiting someone to chime in.

bgray

Stylish Canadian
Mar 17, 2012
Onterrible, Canada
These trucks never really run into cooling problems. I have a pretty aggressive 6L setup, I run a stock 29" rad and dual flex a lite fans....never has even come close to getting hot even at 40 degree Celius temperatures.

If you can get a good deal on efans and Rad setup for 34" it wont hurt, def not worth it to go with a aftermarket rad, unless your running a turbo etc that is casuing high under good temperatures. IF your gonna go efans i would suggest a wiring harness and Tune so the ECM can trigger them automatically

Tylers88

3 GM's and a Jeep
Apr 16, 2012
Clarion, IA
Hey guys I have some questions for you.

I'm looking at doing the electric fans upgrade on my 2004 CC. I already have a TruCool 40k cooler installed, so the transmission fluid is not going through the radiator. I know you can get a 34" radiator from a 2500, but is it the best option for cooling? My reasoning is that all the space where the transmission fluid would run through is just wasted, so would it be better to buy an aftermarket radiator with no (coils, I guess?) for the transmission fluid? I'm in Texas, so I'm trying to keep everything as cool as possible. In my mind, I figure that the more the radiator can spread out the water, the more efficient and quicker it would cool.

I appreciate your input, thanks in advance.

measure your rad, my 04 CC came with a 34 in it already so you would just need fans, harness and tune

Da_Rebel

Just another guy
Mar 8, 2012
Sanger, TX
measure your rad, my 04 CC came with a 34 in it already so you would just need fans, harness and tune

I checked it out, it has the 28" radiator. I asked Justin about the electric fans, and he told me that he turned them on with the first tune. Apparently he turns them on even if it's not asked.

These trucks never really run into cooling problems. I have a pretty aggressive 6L setup, I run a stock 29" rad and dual flex a lite fans....never has even come close to getting hot even at 40 degree Celius temperatures.

If you can get a good deal on efans and Rad setup for 34" it wont hurt.

Awesome, on a side note, what is a good deal on both Efans and a 34" radiator? I met a guy at the BB tune meet that has a set he's willing to sell to me.

ScottyBoy

The LED Man
Apr 6, 2012
I think Peyton might have 05 fans and a 34" radiator for sale. I remember he told me he bought them but then the larger radiator wouldn't fit once he moved everything around to bag his truck.

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
by the time he did shipping or drove down there though, it wouldn't be worth it.

Luis, there are several parts on pt.net from time to time, or the junkyard.

Country_09

Jun 12, 2012
Mont Belvieu
Got my 34" radiator and 05+ fans for 150 from Craigslist and junkyard...just look around. I had to do a lot of searchin though.

I'm in Texas by the gulf, gets real hot here and it has yet to have to kick the fans on "high" mode and Wheatley set that at 205 I think. Last I remember the truck seems to run around 195 steady

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Just checked on the eBay app quick and there are a bunch with starting bids around 40 bucks and buy it now around 100 just so you guys know.

Birds03Z71

Apr 26, 2012
Sold it already Scott
Can get unlimited ls1 fans used from my junk yard if your interested ,just buy bbp harness

I would also be interested in pricing.

Hate to thread jack, but maybe this will help you out too Rebel, if you choose to keep the 28" rad:

I read a while back that converting also can give a slight MPG increase, helping out the motor by alleviating some load from the mechanical fans. Anybody seen a worthwhile gain going to efans?

Also, would LS1 fans bolt up to a stock 28" rad?

Da_Rebel

Just another guy
Mar 8, 2012
Sanger, TX
I would also be interested in pricing.

Hate to thread jack, but maybe this will help you out too Rebel, if you choose to keep the 28" rad:

I read a while back that converting also can give a slight MPG increase, helping out the motor by alleviating some load from the mechanical fans. Anybody seen a worthwhile gain going to efans?

Also, would LS1 fans bolt up to a stock 28" rad?

Thanks for the input. I've been in contact with Peyton for Ls1 fans. He was too busy last week to pick up a set for me. I'm going to be sticking with the 28" radiator for now, so I'll be doing a write up for Ls1 fans install as soon as I get the fans and a harness.