Important!: Question about tubing my rear and if I should tub my 2009 GMC Sierra

Tyler Sylvester

Sep 30, 2015
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I have a 2009, GMC Sierra on a 4-7 drop ( 7 inch flip kit in the back, 2 inch spindle in the back and 2 inch struts with 2 inch re-locators ) right now with 24 inch rims. The tires on it are 285/35 just in case that plays into tubing it.

Now what my plans are is to go to a 6-9 drop or 6-10, by taking out the 2 inch re-locators and adding 4 inch lower and upper control arms to get 6 inches in the front. Now in the back i already have 7 inches with the flip kit as I said before, but I plan on just replacing my shackles with 2 inch or 3 inch drop shackles in the back. Now what I am asking is, I know I can get away in the back with a 6-9 drop without tubing it, but if I go to a 6-10 drop with the 3 inch shackles instead of 2 inches will I need to tub it on a 6-10 with my 24's and 285/35 tires?

Yes its notched btw, no worries there011.jpg017.jpg023.jpg

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
I'd plan on rubbing if I were you. A few rcsb nnbs guys here have had issues with rubbing in the rear and weren't even as low as 6/9 iirc. Especially if you are wanting 6/10, your best bet would be to tub it. Front will need to be done so might as well plan on doing the rear aswell.

What notch are you running? Only asking because if it's a bolt in notch, I'd probably look into a deeper underbed notch while you're at it. My reasoning being, I've had a Mcgaughys bolt in notch on my truck for the last 3 years at 9.5" drop. Well last year I hit a curb and cracked both notches from the impact when I landed. Not that you'll be hitting any curbs but at 9.5" my truck almost sits in the notch. Just food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

DeanH1290

Jan 20, 2014
Georgetown KY
You might be clear up front at ride height, but would rub bad on any noticeable bump. Doesn't seem like there is much upward travel past the fender lip.

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
Man honestly at 6" I wouldn't be surprised if it rubbed everytime you turn. Then again I'm used to nbs and the smaller fenderwells and the fact that they sit lower. You could always do it and just trim as much as you can get away with and see how it does.

Tyler Sylvester

Sep 30, 2015
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
You might be clear up front at ride height, but would rub bad on any noticeable bump. Doesn't seem like there is much upward travel past the fender lip.

So I got a question for both of you guys, and thanks so much for the help so far. But would it be possible to trade my tires for some 275/30/24s, because with those i know for a fact I can get two inches in the front without tubs because I actually have seen it before on a friends truck with those tires. Now my problem is getting smaller tires, and I really cant afford to pay for more.

And if the answer is no, I guess im just gonna have to settle with a 5 inch drop in the front, and would a 5-9 look silly, I personally like squatting trucks. But just wondering yalls opinions and what should I do to get that one more inch with the drop I already have on there now.

- - - - - - - - - -auto merged double post- - - - - - - - - -

Man honestly at 6" I wouldn't be surprised if it rubbed everytime you turn. Then again I'm used to nbs and the smaller fenderwells and the fact that they sit lower. You could always do it and just trim as much as you can get away with and see how it does.

So I got a question for both of you guys, and thanks so much for the help so far. But would it be possible to trade my tires for some 275/30/24s, because with those i know for a fact I can get two inches in the front without tubs because I actually have seen it before on a friends truck with those tires. Now my problem is getting smaller tires, and I really cant afford to pay for more.

And if the answer is no, I guess im just gonna have to settle with a 5 inch drop in the front, and would a 5-9 look silly, I personally like squatting trucks. But just wondering yalls opinions and what should I do to get that one more inch with the drop I already have on there now....

Last edited:

Dakota

Dat Static 4wd
Mar 12, 2012
texarkana
Your 285/35s are 31.9" tall. You'll rub at 6" for sure. I think cub had some rubbing issues at 5" with a 275/55/20 which is also 31.9" tall. As for trading tires, that would be your best bet imo. If you can somehow do 5/9 on your tires without much rubbing I don't think it would look bad. A little cali lean is acceptable on a lowered truck imo. You could always get helper bags later.