Slow05CC

Avery@texas-speed.com
Apr 25, 2014
Round Rock, Tx.
I picked up some low mileage ( 58,000 to be exact ) 243s off a Z06 this weekend and I had a quick question about milling them before I run them over to Texas Speed & Performance for some head work.

I have been told that milling them .030 will retain the factory compression with the 5.3 dished pistons and I just wanted to confirm that before I spend the money milling them and its be wrong and I lose compression. I have also heard you can mill the .035 but it seems to be hit or miss with the intake seating at the correct angle. I guess some people do it and not have issues, then some do it and the intake leaks. Seems like a crap shoot, any light on this?

Another milling question I have: I am in the process of building a 5.3 block with flat top LS1 pistons. Later down the road, would the .030 be too much of a mill for flat tops? I don't want to run into PTV issues! I was looking for some light on this but it seems that guys with flat tops leave the heads alone, and guys with dished pistons mill them. I want flat tops and a mill for the added compression.

I was also looking at a valve job and wasn't sure if a 3, 5, or 7 angle would be the best route? I am sure I could ask TSP when I take the heads up there but I kind of want to have an idea of what is the best options before I get there and get told otherwise then get hit up for a ton of work.

I will be running these heads with a TBSS intake that I got a few weeks ago that is equipped with NNBS Flex Fuel 36 pound injectors

Few pics for reference.

2aafx4l.jpg

2ngvrdc.jpg

2zdqhx1.jpg

Thanks!

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
Id go with .030 mill, that will get you a lil bit extra compression and would be fine with a 22X/23X 600/600 cam. IIRC Silver04 has a similar size cam in his 4.8 (Flat tops) and has no PTV issues.

Slow05CC

Avery@texas-speed.com
Apr 25, 2014
Round Rock, Tx.
I have flat tops with 243s milled .030 with zero PTV issues. Cam specs 222/226 .604/.604

What length pushrods are you using with the milled heads? 7.350"? That give me confidence, I don't think I want a cam any bigger then that! My 220r is a monster but it sound too stock for my liking. I was thinking of a vengeance cam, a eps can or a custom patg.

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
push rod length has to be measured for....u gotta take into account the preload u want on the lifters and then you order accordingly, thats the right way to do it. 220r is not much of a monster, imo.

Slow05CC

Avery@texas-speed.com
Apr 25, 2014
Round Rock, Tx.
push rod length has to be measured for....u gotta take into account the preload u want on the lifters and then you order accordingly, thats the right way to do it. 220r is not much of a monster, imo.

I wouldn't say a monster as far as specs or power parse, but with my stall and gears it was a substantial mod. I guess I should rephrase my statement to fun cam! Great DD bumpstick, especially with a 3200 stall and 4.30 gears. It turned my average crew cab into a fun street truck! It just sounds really tame, and with my exhaust set up 99% of people miss the fact that it has a cam!

So when I get around to finishing my iron 5.7 I want a cam that sounds mean, but also spec'ed to give max performance! So most likely a custom grind! So that being said I am sure cam builders can spec a stick that meets my needs but fits without flycutting the pistons. I want to avoid that if all possible

I can run up to Texas Speed and get a pushrod length checker! I can literally walk there if I wanted too

Last edited:

Jake747

May 13, 2015
Seattle
I have a brand new set of Manton PR's that are 7.375 that I'm pretty sure I can't use as we changed some things last minute on my build.

Slow05CC

Avery@texas-speed.com
Apr 25, 2014
Round Rock, Tx.
Got my heads milled yesterday and this is the results. I cut .030 off them. I think they look pretty good, and the edges are sharper then my kershaw knives haha

71236f.jpg

Samuel6731

Cant Get Right
Mar 11, 2012
New Roads La.
When I did mine I had them milled .032.
PTV issues you should be fine just measure for PR length.

I had my 799s milled, bowl blended, short turn radius slightly worked, back cut the valves...ect the cheap and easy work. They picked up 24CFM on the flow bench over factory.
I also went with an EPS cam which uses a smaller OD core so once ground and using a milled head my PR length came to using the factory 7.4 length.

My specs were 224/232 609 607 111 in and iron 5.3 stock bottom spun to 6800.

Slow05CC

Avery@texas-speed.com
Apr 25, 2014
Round Rock, Tx.
When I did mine I had them milled .032.
PTV issues you should be fine just measure for PR length.

I had my 799s milled, bowl blended, short turn radius slightly worked, back cut the valves...ect the cheap and easy work. They picked up 24CFM on the flow bench over factory.
I also went with an EPS cam which uses a smaller OD core so once ground and using a milled head my PR length came to using the factory 7.4 length.

My specs were 224/232 609 607 111 in and iron 5.3 stock bottom spun to 6800.

I thought about going with .032 but figured that small amount wouldn't hurt or help so I went with the .030! My original plan was to slap them on my 5.3 with the TBSS intake, a 224/228 TSP cam, and stuffing some 4.8 pistons in it then retuning it... But I may be trading my centerlines for a LQ4 this weekend so if that happens the heads will ride on top on a 370!