Project Purplehaze

So I'm finally getting around to working on my own shit for a change. Did a little detailing today and polished my rear drive shaft.

I had cleaned it up with some etching cleaner when I put the FTS lift on, but never got around to polishing it.

I started off with some 220 grit (just some shit I had laying around), then stepped it up to 400, 800, and 2000 for good measure. Then I used my power ball on my makita with some mothers aluminum polish. Took a long time because I had to keep charging my drill batteries, but it looks pretty good!

I'll get some day time shots of it on the truck when I can.

Before:

7B76BDE1-B65F-4311-8B09-08374FAE3515.jpg

After:

5F670FAA-B14C-4756-959F-97EF34F31EDB.jpg

34B9354C-C3CF-4785-B0F4-39FCA4FE6A65.jpg

F71BCD15-6491-4D0C-9A59-8C2D41D51D1A.jpg

So I've all but got my hands on this 4 link rear setup (will not have 3rd coast logos)... We will have some fabricating to work out, far as spring perches, link brackets on the axle, and pan hard bar.

What are some things to look out for when 4 linking a rearend? It will be set up with my 7 inch fts lift, so coil spring placements and length are 2 concerns. Any good advice?

D1C567B5-A432-4DD1-987B-F3235944A414.png

4A20D08A-6DE7-4054-A7D4-C780381E6065.png

I'm also planning on running dual resi shocks, one on each side of the diff, angled towards the back bumper.

Everything else would be similar to what is shown in the pictures..

buying the kit new or used?

It's used. I think I've all but decided to run air bags instead of coil springs. For a few reasons..

Hopefully I have the link bars etc. before too long and I can really start to get this going.

I read through Budrun's thread he did a few years ago on GMFS, when he first linked the rearend on his GMC. Looks doable for sure.

Nah, all that guys truck is staying like it is (in the first picture). He has the gaudy square tubing that BnC makes, so I'll get the round tubing stufff he took off.
Which is fine since I plan on running bags. Fab work shouldn't be too extensive.

- - - - - - - - - -auto merged double post- - - - - - - - - -

I really dig the way they did the upper bracket on this one. Combine this with a round bag mount plate with gussets to sit on the axle (Budd's setup in the bottom picture), and I think I may have found my setup..

red7.jpg

313451_2497239834161_1347821773_2812456_60585918_n.jpg
[/IMG]

I thought so too. The red truck needs a taller pan hard bar bracket on the axle though. I bet that thing has some pretty bad axle movement when airing up/down.
Hopefully I can get the ball rolling on it sometime in December. Shouldn't take that long to fab it all up and install it, there's not that much to it.

IMO bamf setup with brackets welded all the way around like that

- - - - - - - - - -auto merged double post- - - - - - - - - -

I thought so too. The red truck needs a taller pan hard bar bracket on the axle though. I bet that thing has some pretty bad axle movement when airing up/down.
Hopefully I can get the ball rolling on it sometime in December. Shouldn't take that long to fab it all up and install it, there's not that much to it.

Since you're lifted I would think you could fit a wishbone setup rather than a panhard. I'd like to swap my panhard for a wishbone when I have the time

Watts link would be cool, but probably a lot of work to figure out. Plus it would add to the clutter that tends to happen with linking a rearend.
I figure since I only put about 5k miles on this truck a year, that I shouldn't wear anything out too terribly fast.

I won't close the door on the idea though, I'm still learning a LOT about linking a rearend on a lifted truck.