Pressing out Uca bushings

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes
So I'm in the process of redoing the front suspension this weekend. For the life of me I can't get these upper control arm bushings out. I'm going to leave three in after seeing how good they still are trying to get the first out. However I have made the first one unusable now, the only idea I have at this moment is to grind the outer steel part of the bearings from the inside out trying to not cut into the control arm too much, and hopefully weaken it enough to beat it out with the sledge.

Sent from my hacked super-nintendo

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
Honestly, I'd buy new UCAs with new bushings and call it done. I hate bushings, they never want to come out.

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes
Am flipping the uppers so I didn't want to buy new uppers and tear a balljoint boot pressing the bj out

Colyn.

Acrophobic
Mar 17, 2012
Alma, GA
It took us forever to get mine out.... and when they did come out they shot out like a bullet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk Pro

Jared

Administrator
Feb 8, 2012
North Dallas
I was going to mention the same thing, but seeing as you are flipping buying new would be useless.

So, try finding a set of used ones. If you were local I'd let you have mine.

BOO5TED

Resident Smartass
Jan 7, 2011
ATL
If you just want one out and it's unusable just heat it with a torch and let it melt.

Huck

BIIIIG SQRBDY GUY
Jan 27, 2011
Gainesville, Ga
If you just want one out and it's unusable just heat it with a torch and let it melt.

This is really the only way without a press. But F that, I'd risk the new BJs before fucking with that. I bought all new loaded arms for the Cobra for the same reason

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes

The metal part was unusable because I had been beeting on it with a hammer, I figure it out though, I cut the metal flange off with a cut off wheel and then I was able to support the control arm and press it out. The whole problem was due to the design of the bushing I couldn't support the control arm in the press because the flange is the same size as the control arm... The only bitch now is I pressed the new one too far in :facepalm: :suicide

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes
With how easy it was once I got the flange off I'm going to try the other one on the same control arm. If it goes well I'll do all four

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes
Ok so cut off the flange, press out the steel sleeve, pry/burn/press out the rubber, and then you can press out the outer steel sleeve

HackMcMaster

Jun 26, 2012
Dunes
Only took me like 5 minutes after I figured out a food procedure didn't have to burn rubber either... Will when it's all done :cheeky: