Painting bumpers

Cold

May 15, 2013
Jonesboro, LA
Wanting to get my bumpers paint matched, Im trying to figure out how much most have paid for this? I picked up a LTZ color matched grille that I will have the chrome mech painted gloss black along with the bow tie.

Current look

from reading past posts your best to buy non chrome bumpers and have them painted. Local shops would paint my chrome but it came with zero warranty. The second the paint dried it was a done deal. App the paint chips a lot easier.

from reading past posts your best to buy non chrome bumpers and have them painted. Local shops would paint my chrome but it came with zero warranty. The second the paint dried it was a done deal. App the paint chips a lot easier.

If I have to go that route then Ill probably get a street scene bumper...I hope I dont have to but I hope to find out tomorrow.

If your paint man can't get paint to stick to a chrome bumper then he is not prepping it correctly.

I had mine sand blasted to etch into the bumper good. Have it a nice surface for paint to grab onto.
zy9ygybe.jpg
egy7epy3.jpg

Both where factory chrome.

Another option is to plastidip your bumper. I've seen some plastidipped chrome bumpers and they look great.

Wanting to get my bumpers paint matched, Im trying to figure out how much most have paid for this? I picked up a LTZ color matched grille that I will have the chrome mech painted gloss black along with the bow tie.

Current look

Out here in San Diego there is a place that does the majority of color matching out here. Great reputation. $600 to colormatch front bumper/grille/ and rear bumper. 2year warranty on paint.

Another option - Powdercoat it white (you can find a deal if you are willing to wait around until they get a big job where they are doing that color anyways), then paint it to match - it will prep similar to a surface that has been primered. Should hold up nicely.

I'm almost positive the end caps are just plastic chrome, if that's the case then powdercoat is not an option

I'm almost positive the end caps are just plastic chrome, if that's the case then powdercoat is not an option

The end caps on my 2013 are steel. Had mine blasted before painting. I also did not take bumper caps apart from the bumper. I left them all together and only took plastic parts off.