9X37Crewcab

Nov 13, 2014
Hey guys i have a 06 5.3 and im throwing codes p0171 and p0174. Says bank one and 2 is lean. Any ideals on what this could be?

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
cracked exh manifold?

- - - - - - - - - -auto merged double post- - - - - - - - - -

its either intake or exhaust leak...if u recently messed with ur intake system, go over the hoses/clamps.

If not, check the exh manifolds for cracks....maybe spray some ether around intake side n make sure theres no spike in RPMs when u do spray

possible o2 sensor too. u could swap them left to right and see if the code changes sides

Oct 16, 2011
SoCal
MAF sensor, intake gaskets, possible cracked hose or intake manifold

Would help to know what uve done so far so we can rule out shit :read:

Moore

Feb 12, 2012
Maryland
It's probably your intake manifold gaskets. Is your truck flex fuel? If you have been driving with these codes active for a long time, and you change the gasket it is possible that once you fix it your truck will throw the opposite codes. p0172 and p0175 (bank 1 and 2 rich). This is caused by the computer adjusting to the vacuum leak and defaulting to an extremely high ethanol content. If this does happen to you, you will need to find someone with a scanner than can go in and reset your ethanol content to 0, then drive your truck for a bit and automatically adjust itself back to normal

marc

WhiteSilvy
May 16, 2013
canada
he has a o2 sensor on each side saying this though marc.

true and his doesn't seem to sound like its only running on 3 cylinders, or else he would have mentioned it.

that truck brought back some scary memories of unplugging spark-plug wires through the fender-well because i locked my keys in my truck while it was running :faceplam:.

it can still run on all 8 with a intake leak, it is running lean because the MAF sensor is saying its getting so much air, so its putting in so much fuel, and the o2 sensor is saying thats not enough fuel, but doesnt know how much to put in because its not reading that extra air going in.

i could be a leak in the intake tube after the MAF sensor, it could be a crack in the intake, and it could be a bad intake gasket.

since these are dry intakes, its not like its hard to change the gaskets for it.

chances that the o2 sensor on the drivers side and the o2 sensor on the passenger side going bad at the same exact time are slim.

9X37Crewcab

Nov 13, 2014
Recleaned the factory mass air flow sensor and put it back on (had a JET brand maf) and the problem went away. So id say it was the aftermarket mass air flow sensor.

Khaos

Bed Dent Club Founder
Mar 24, 2012
Albany, NY
You really don't need an aftermarket MAF at all, so good choice going back to stock. They're typically pretty touchy when you swap them, so that explains to code.

9X37Crewcab

Nov 13, 2014
Yeah i bought it cuz i was throwing p0101 tried cleaning and didnt have any luck. But yeah at least i figured it out