OBS header questions

Moore

Feb 12, 2012
Maryland
So I came across these and I want wondering everything that goes along with a header install OBX Long Tube Exhaust Headers Tahoe Yukon Suburban 98-99 5.0L 5.7L 2/4 WD | eBay

I read something about a.i.r. or egr needing to be deleted or something? Is this a big deal? If I did headers I dont want it to be complicated/spendy
I was also wondering about tuning and deleting cats. Would something like this do anything for me? Thunderbolt 2.25" Spun Catalytic Converter Ideally, I would want to run those and delete the rear o2 sensors. And this leads to my next question which is tuning. I assume that with all this done I would need it to be tuned, and I was looking at the prices for mail order tune...and then theres sending your pcm back and forth, which isnt a big deal but if theres another way around it I'd like to know.

Sorry if this sounds jumbled up or stupid, I just want to know guise

As long as you don't throw codes its fine, they dont even use the sniffer thing. Worst I've seen is them whip the mirror out to see if you have cats but obviously theres the MD horror stories out there too.

So I came across these and I want wondering everything that goes along with a header install OBX Long Tube Exhaust Headers Tahoe Yukon Suburban 98-99 5.0L 5.7L 2/4 WD | eBay

I read something about a.i.r. or egr needing to be deleted or something? Is this a big deal? If I did headers I dont want it to be complicated/spendy
I was also wondering about tuning and deleting cats. Would something like this do anything for me? Thunderbolt 2.25" Spun Catalytic Converter Ideally, I would want to run those and delete the rear o2 sensors. And this leads to my next question which is tuning. I assume that with all this done I would need it to be tuned, and I was looking at the prices for mail order tune...and then theres sending your pcm back and forth, which isnt a big deal but if theres another way around it I'd like to know.

Sorry if this sounds jumbled up or stupid, I just want to know guise

yes you will need a EGR delete, basically you just need to plug the hole on the intake. and tune the EGR out, which will be done with your mail order tune.

Secondly, on my OBS i have no cats, and the rear o2's tuned out, passes the OBDII test every time, no worries. If you wanted to you could run those cats, but your not gonna see anything besides the exhaust being less stinky.

I only know blackbear tuning. but when you order your tune, they will send you the whole PCM, then you just swap it with yours, and mail your stock PCM back, or keep it if you want a stock tune (not sure why you would want that) once they get your PCM they will paypal back your deposit.

so you have 0 down time.

So its safe to assume that whatever shop I get to install headers would be familiar with egr delete? And thanks a bunch ginger, I didnt know blackbear messed with obs's like that

I still have a feeling that a shop is going to give you shit. I have several guys from ls1tech and the navy who were "modders" and always complained about MD. It was worse than VA, and the shop installing headers most likely won't delete it, as it is suppose to be there. Like most won't install a y pipe without cats, since technically you are required to have them.

That or find a "friendly" shop.

Word, brandon has the block-off plates for the older NBS trucks. When I had my F-body many did them as well. If I were malik I would call a few shops first.